Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Paint / Clearcoat Quality (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/paint-clearcoat-quality-25382.html)

Celly 07-07-2011 08:31 AM

Paint / Clearcoat Quality

Anyone here with some long term experience with the paint and clear coat quality of Jeeps? From what I can tell it looks surprisingly better than I had thought. Mine seems pretty think with very little orange peel. Which I guess makes sense, since to be 'Trail Rated' it needs to be tough. :lol:

Either way, this was a surprise since most manufactures are getting thinner... and thinner.. every day. Are my eyes/senses lying to me?

Parks311 07-07-2011 09:50 AM

Re: Paint / Clearcoat Quality

Overall my paint job seems to be pretty good however the door edges seem to chip extremely easy (possibly just because of the shape of them and my bad luck). Also, I have a few imperfections along the driver's door sill and passenger rear wheel well where it looks like dirt or other particles were trapped below the paint so there are a few rough spots that look like little pimples on the surface (I think this has been mentioned in the forums already). Not enough for me to raise hell with Jeep and repaint though but noted them on the vehicle service history if there is ever a problem with it.

AAAA 07-07-2011 12:07 PM

As I wrote on a different post, I am amazed at the quality of the white gold paint. It is smooth and deep. Almost luxury car quality. No signs of the alligator finish you see on Fords or past Chryslers. I take a better look when I wax it.

Celly 07-07-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 443563)
As I wrote on a different post, I am amazed at the quality of the white gold paint. It is smooth and deep. Almost luxury car quality. No signs of the alligator finish you see on Fords or past Chryslers. I take a better look when I wax it.

Yeah, I was checking it out thinking I was going to need to do a 3-4 stage clean/polish/wax on it..

I think instead I might just slap some Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and call it a day.

fljeepleo 07-08-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parks311 (Post 443491)
Overall my paint job seems to be pretty good however the door edges seem to chip extremely easy (possibly just because of the shape of them and my bad luck). Also, I have a few imperfections along the driver's door sill and passenger rear wheel well where it looks like dirt or other particles were trapped below the paint so there are a few rough spots that look like little pimples on the surface (I think this has been mentioned in the forums already). Not enough for me to raise hell with Jeep and repaint though but noted them on the vehicle service history if there is ever a problem with it.

I also have a door chip on the edge of my door,, I think it came from the dealer that way. Other than that the paint seems tough.