Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Got rear ended today... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/got-rear-ended-today-25454.html)

QCnCA 07-08-2011 11:55 PM

Got rear ended today...

.. So I'm sitting at a red light along with my wife, chatting having a good time when out of nowhere WHAM! (enter wife scream here..)

Ruby squeaks forward a few feet from the impact, and I'm already imagining how mangled my tailgate/bumper would look.. Looking in the rearview all I see is the grille of a lifted Tundra..

We pull over in a parking lot and to my surprise.. ZERO damage! Hence, no need for pictures!

I'm more than impressed with how the bumper absorbed the impact, as the driver of the Tundra let me know he had to slam on the brakes from 45mph the second he woke up from a little nap he decided to take while behind the wheel...

Must be my lucky day!

netcoolery 07-09-2011 12:11 AM

Re: Got rear ended today...

Wow - First of all, I'm glad you and the Missus are OK.

Good to hear that a WK2 can take a bit of a whack on the butt.

rovinrail 07-09-2011 05:37 AM

Should be careful about that, I got rear-ended one time, really light, with no apparent damage... A couple weeks later, my mechanic was checking out my car, and the whole inside of the bumper (all of the different absorbing materials/whatnot) had been smashed to bits. Since I hadn't exchanged any info with the person, and no police report or anything, I ended up sucking up the bill...

Even if there's nothing visible, you should get the car checked out-- if it was a strong enough hit to move you a few feet, that's a lot of power behind that.

nek121328 07-09-2011 06:49 AM

Ditto on the invisible damage!

UNCjeepWK2 07-09-2011 08:10 AM

I, too, was rear-ended (at about 5-10 mph) a few months ago in my WK2. I also had zero damage to my great surprise... the hitch receiver plate absorbed all the impact.

Out of extreme caution, I had a policeman come out and execute an exchange of insurnace information... then took it to the bodyshop to have it checked for damage I couldn't see. Thankfully, they found nothing.

andyh 07-09-2011 08:14 AM

Keep the trailer hitch ball on there at all times

JVBW0527 07-09-2011 09:00 AM

actually, the same happened to me in my current car (to be replaced by my 2012 Grand Cherokee)

i got rear ended, and there appeared to be very little damage to the bumper, but once at the body shop, ALOT of damage......around $4,000 worth!

PS- can't wait for my 2012 V6 Limited in stone white, frost beige interior
730N
luxury group
adaptive cruise package
20" wheels
trailer tow package

2011JGCL 07-09-2011 11:35 AM

Ruby?

Steve20016 07-09-2011 11:36 AM

Definitely have a body shop look at it. I was rear ended in my Chrysler Cirrus, there was no cosmetic damage at all. The paint on the bumper wasn't even scratched. But there was $3500 dollars in damage I couldn't see.

GTOGreg 07-09-2011 12:10 PM

Definitely good points on invisible damage. The other side of the coin is having your VIN associated with accident damage through a police report.

The right thing to do is to report it though IMHO.

dubwarren 07-09-2011 12:15 PM

Do the back up sensors still work?

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-09-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 444555)
Keep the trailer hitch ball on there at all times

why? so an accident causes structural damage instead of less costly cosmetic damage???