Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Wheel and tire opinions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wheel-and-tire-opinions-25520.html)

jp467 07-10-2011 04:08 PM

Wheel and tire opinions

I have an Overland with the 20"wheels and Michelin Latitudes on it and I just bought a set of the Mopar 18" Black wheels. I would like to hear some opinions from those that have driven these with both the 18 and 20 inch wheels and what difference is going to be. The 20's I have now with the Michelin tires handle good but they do have a hard ride on rough roads. I have the psi set at 36 cold and with the hot weather they rise to as high as 40 psi. When fall comes around or maybe sooner I am going to put these 18's on for the winter. I am trying to decide what tires to put on these wheels I am deciding between just going with the Latitudes or maybe Bridgestone Dueler At. Any opinions?

JayB 07-10-2011 04:23 PM

Re: Wheel and tire opinions

I have dueler at on 18s. They are 255 70 18 (or whatever 32 inch tire has 255 width). These are the stock tires on the wrangler. I had the 265 60 18 latitude tour that came stock on the jgc. For comparison obviously the at tires are louder, but I only notice it at speeds of forty and below. Obviously the ats have better traction off road and in snow. Cornering? I don't know, it's a 5000 pound suv. It's not going to be anything worth mentioning. I can't comment on any 20" wheels though. The 18s are comfy on the road especially with air suspension.

Either way you slice it....if you are going off road or in snow I would not get the latitudes. Thee is plenty of discussion here about that.
People like the firestone destination at a lot.

mjw930 07-10-2011 06:52 PM

I have the same 20's you have, down to the Latitudes. When I was shopping I drove an overland with the 18" Latitudes and found the ride to be bouncy and more disconnected but the ride was good and handling was decent considering the tall sidewalls. However, since you are going for a winter combo why not do a Blizzac or a real winter tire?

BTW I have not found any situation where the 20's feel hard, these are hugely tall tires with a lot of spring rate. Then again I run max performance tires and european sport suspensions on my cars so my idea of a hard ride may be different than yours :)

jp467 07-10-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 445235)
I have the same 20's you have, down to the Latitudes. When I was shopping I drove an overland with the 18" Latitudes and found the ride to be bouncy and more disconnected but the ride was good and handling was decent considering the tall sidewalls. However, since you are going for a winter combo why not do a Blizzac or a real winter tire?

BTW I have not found any situation where the 20's feel hard, these are hugely tall tires with a lot of spring rate. Then again I run max performance tires and european sport suspensions on my cars so my idea of a hard ride may be different than yours :)

The thing is I love the look of it with the 20's. But it does seem with the higher tire pressure we need to run in these over rough pavement I get alot through the steerling wheel. It's like the front tires want to bounce off the ground. It does seem that the Latitudes may be a little stiffer than the Goodyears.