Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Load Levelling Suspension (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/load-levelling-suspension-25535.html)

Sarge2011 07-10-2011 09:09 PM

Load Levelling Suspension

Hellow everyone, new here, first post, just bought a brand new 2011 Laredo X fully loaded and had the dealer throw on the Class IV hitch as part of the deal. Looks absolutely stock, they didn't "cut" anything like others have suggested, they just replaced the bezel under the rear bumper and the dual 7pin/5pin harness just plugged right in...

Anyway, I did search this before I posted, but I'm not sure how to tell if I had the Load Levelling Rear Suspension or not. I understand what it does, and understand the parts that are included in the Tow Package, but I'm not sure if I have that rear end.

I just climbed under the truck and found that I have Tokico shocks, but I didn't see any wires or hoses or anything. (I'm just guessing, don't know how these things work). From what I understand the Load Levelling on these Jeeps has a different shock type? Any way to tell for sure?

I know I didn't get the 230 amp alternator, but I did get a tranny cooler as part of the Off Road Adventure I package, I verified it was installed visually and checked the part numbers. (I actually chose not to get the QL option, but I still have QDII and QTII, but no airbags.) So, as far as I can tell I got everything in the Tow Package except for the larger Alternator (not a huge deal, the tranny cooler was more important) but I'm still not sure about the Load Levelling Suspension.

Thanks for the help.

ColdCase 07-10-2011 09:51 PM

Re: Load Levelling Suspension

The load level may be the shock used. Can you see which part number is on the shock? The dealer should be able to look it up, there are at least three shocks in the parts list but I can't tell which if any are the load leveling style.

Bmwister 07-11-2011 12:07 PM

In the WK2 if you get the tow package with load leveling suspension, the rear shocks are different and automatically level themselves once you are underway via internal valving in the shocks; there are no external connections. What happens when you load up the rear or attach a trailer is that the vehicle may sit lower than normal. In that case, once you begin driving the normal undulation of the road enables the shocks to automatically pump themselves up to the normal ride height. This is an excellent, maintenance-free system and the shocks are a very heavy item and have a different part number than stock.

Sarge2011 07-11-2011 01:35 PM

I just checked, part number is 68029552AE, looking in the parts guide now but I don't see it anywhere.

Would somebody who has the Tow package mind comparing that, and
52124606AC for the hitch for me? I found that it the parts guide, but I can't find anywhere that says it's actually a Class IV rated hitch.

Thanks again.

Sarge2011 07-12-2011 03:30 PM

Nobody?

Andrew Klossner 07-12-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarge2011 (Post 445609)
Would somebody who has the Tow package mind comparing that, and 52124606AC for the hitch for me?

I have the tow package, but I don't understand what exactly you're asking for. Get under the truck and look for a part number on a sticker? Where exactly?

Sarge2011 07-12-2011 05:22 PM

It's not on a sticker, it's stamped into the hitch itself, close to the center on the bottom.

Andrew Klossner 07-12-2011 05:47 PM

Mine says 52124606AC. This is an Overland with "Trailer Tow Group IV" and "Off-Road Adventure II" packages.

Smksignals 07-12-2011 05:54 PM

The tow package self leveling shock is a Nivomat shock made by ZF Sachs.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/nort...ewsId=21773480

Look underneath the car. No lines or wires, totally self contained. The top half of the shock is twice as big as a normal shock.

fljeepleo 07-12-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smksignals (Post 446409)
The tow package self leveling shock is a Nivomat shock made by ZF Sachs.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/nort...ewsId=21773480

Look underneath the car. No lines or wires, totally self contained. The top half of the shock is twice as big as a normal shock.

Great article< I wondered how it worked. I use my grand cherokee mostly for a tow vehicle, with my boat in tow it doesn't sag a bit. Trailer tow package is a must!

Sarge2011 07-12-2011 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll have to order a set of those bad boys...

4th Cherokee 01-20-2012 08:31 PM

Bump, does anyone know the part number on the load leveling shocks?