Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Questions from a prospective buyer: (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/questions-from-a-prospective-buyer-25579.html)

DocCat 07-11-2011 09:54 PM

Questions from a prospective buyer:

Hello. I'm contemplating a GC for my next car. Currently I'm driving a 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD.

First: Should I let the depreciation bother me? My Murano (bought for $32000 new) is still worth $14000-16000. I don't think the GC will hold its value as well. Does this concern anyone?

Second: I've heard some horror stories regarding the reliability of Jeep. Transmission problems, engine problems, etc. Does this concern anyone? Has Jeep reliability improved?

Third: I do like my Murano. But it's not very good in snow, even with the AWD (sometimes I think they just put plastic 'AWD' on the back to charge more money, without actually putting a drivetrain in). I'm assuming the GC will be much better in snow. Yes?

Fourth: I'm very skinny and my low back/butt tend to get sore on long trips. What do you think of the seat comfort?

A few others:

-any new colors announced for 2012? Is the Diesel coming, yes or no? Can I get saddle leather with a V6 Overland or is this only for the Hemi/V8?

Thanks for any input.

lll2for3lll 07-11-2011 09:59 PM

Re: Questions from a prospective buyer:

Second Question: Yes. Transmission, drive line, differential problems can occur. That's usually when maintenance is not taken seriously.
As far as the engine....who the hell told you Jeeps have engine problems?! :lol:

If you're one to tak care of your auto, then you have nothing to worry about.

As far as holding value, I'm not sure if Jeep is the place to look.

Either way you look at it, these Jeeps are strong and take a beating.

jgc4ever 07-11-2011 10:38 PM

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I paid $30,500 for new with negotating and rebates at the time ($38,000 MSRP which doesn't really matter since I paid no where near that).

Kelly Blue Book says it's worth (with 60k miles) $16200 private party price, and $14,000 trade in, in excellent condition, which it is.

The 2nd largest Jeep dealership in the country has a couple just like it on their lot for $19k. Another large dealer near me has similar models listed at $21k on their lot.

I'd say that's holding value pretty good.

lll2for3lll 07-11-2011 10:40 PM

That's low miles for a 2005.

jlode675 07-11-2011 10:45 PM

i have a 99 wj ltd with 99k paid 38k inc sales tax new, dealer offered 4800.00 trade towards new jeep wk(good deal on that 05 i only got 3000.00 off sticker)

jgc4ever 07-11-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 446039)
That's low miles for a 2005.

Yea, I've managed to keep the miles low. Bought it at the end of March in 2005 so had it 6 years and 3 months and counting. Actually just hit 59,800 miles today.

Bmwister 07-11-2011 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=DocCat;446001]Hello. I'm contemplating a GC for my next car. Currently I'm driving a 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocCat (Post 446001)
First: Should I let the depreciation bother me?

Every Vehicle depreciates, some more than others. It isn't specific to Jeep. Think about the depreciation on an $80,000 Range Rover or $60,000 Audi. The higher the price the worse it looks in the short run. If you keep the vehicle a long time, Jeep seems to have a reliable used-buyer market and more aftermarket support than other marques.

Quote:

Second: I've heard some horror stories regarding the reliability of Jeep. Transmission problems, engine problems, etc. Does this concern anyone? Has Jeep reliability improved?

I've experienced horror stories with Lexus (Toyota), Infinity (Nissan), BMW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, etc. Every marque has "horror stories". That said, I chose the Hemi (proven design) mated to the 545RFE transmission (proven design) rather than try a "new" powertrain.

Quote:

Third: I do like my Murano. But it's not very good in snow, even with the AWD (sometimes I think they just put plastic 'AWD' on the back to charge more money, without actually putting a drivetrain in). I'm assuming the GC will be much better in snow. Yes?

Off-road and traction supremacy has always been a Jeep calling card. My first winter with my first ever Jeep was jaw-dropping in how easy it was to get around...on street tires. A/T tires might enable it to climb walls. It was even better than our Audi Quattro vehicles.

Quote:

Fourth: I'm very skinny and my low back/butt tend to get sore on long trips. What do you think of the seat comfort?

More comfortable than my old Mercedes and Audi sedans on long interstate trips. Good seat support (firm with good form).

Quote:

A few others:

-any new colors announced for 2012? Is the Diesel coming, yes or no? Can I get saddle leather with a V6 Overland or is this only for the Hemi/V8?

Diesel is coming sometime. Talk to the dealer about what you can or cannot get as these things can frequently change.

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

You're welcome. Consider I'm a first time Jeep buyer and have zero regrets with my purchase. It easily compares to what I've had from other luxury makes but with more robust underpinnings for the trail for those who have the need but don't want to sacrifice great road manners.

lll2for3lll 07-11-2011 11:01 PM

I bought mine in 2006 with 8,000 miles I think. I should have bought a V8 but I was in college, money was tight (still is), and really needed a dependable auto to get back and forth to school.

I must say I noticed a buch of stuff I've never notice with any other car I've owned. The hard downshift and stoping gear for one.

tri0829 07-11-2011 11:30 PM

my family has owned jeeps since i was 5, the only reliability issues we've ever encountered is electrical stuff never had any of the real stuff fail (engines, transmissions, ect.) we bought my '06 in 2008 since ive owned it within the past 3 years i havent had any issues with anything youve described and im reaching 65000. The only issue i had was the gearbox shorted and was replaced by the dealer otherwise its been great. In the snow, i live in buffalo ny so we see a lot of snow "bad snow" other places is the average winter day here and ive never had any problems getting through it. never got stuck, never slid off the road, saved me from some bad accidents a few times actually. i love my jeep and the 2011's seem to be everything jeep used to be and more when i trade in this car i will definitely be staying in the jeep family

DocCat 07-12-2011 09:51 PM

I like the Overland interior the best, but I'm leery of that air suspension system. Sounds new-fangled, and breakable. Do you think I'd be better off with the less fancy interior and the more conventional suspension?

lll2for3lll 07-12-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocCat (Post 446579)
I like the Overland interior the best, but I'm leery of that air suspension system. Sounds new-fangled, and breakable. Do you think I'd be better off with the less fancy interior and the more conventional suspension?

That's my style. Lol.

Don't get the air suspension unless you really need it or have the money.

lll2for3lll 07-12-2011 09:56 PM

Oh....and you can always upgrade your interior. Think about possiblities and not just what it is. :thumbsup: