Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   Major water leak 2011 unlimited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/major-water-leak-2011-unlimited-25611.html)

Smitty 07-12-2011 06:27 PM

Major water leak 2011 unlimited

I have a 2011 wrangler unlimited. When it rains my floor boards in front are both soaked. I took to dealer. The once a week water repair expert said he found a leaking seam in cowl pan and repqired. I took home. It rained again, floor is wet again. I had 2 people sit in front seats while I strategically hosed jeep down. No leaks from t tops. No leak around windshield. Leaking occured when I put water down cowl pan. However, this was minor compared to when I directed water across each t top down the drip edge. The water flowed forward along the t top drip edge and then down the weatherstripping on the forward edge of each front door. About 5 seconds later, water began to flow rapidly into the floor board. It is difficult to see exactly where it is coming in. It may be coming in as high as the hinges. It streams across the plastic threshold which sits on top of the rocker panel an about 8" to the rear of the leading edge of the front door. I let floor dry and then took to dealer. DEaler said they could not duplicate the leak. When I picked up, the floor board was soaked. I respectfully disagreed with their assessment and had them feel the floor. They said they would keep an reevaluate. They called me today to tell me that they sprayed water on the jeep and it leaked but were told by someone ? They were spraying too much water. I disagree and said the vehicle needs to withstand a hose, car wash power washer and anything mother nature has to offer. They will look at tomorrow. I can see this is going to be a challenge. Has anyone experienced a similar issue. Please advise

2005JGC 07-13-2011 03:20 AM

Re: Major water leak 2011 unlimited

Welcome!

Smitty 07-13-2011 05:50 PM

6 months is not acceptable, especially on a vehicle that is 6 mo old, actualy on any age vehicle in my opinion. I will have to look at using the lemon law if not resolved quickly. They either figure it out or they don't. I don't see how more time gets a different result, just an attempt to wear me down and hope I go away which isn't going to happen on a water leak of this magnitude. Other issues I can concede on but not water. They said the water guy didn't show up today but when I stopped by after service closed, the sales guy said the water guy was there and worked on it for a few hours today. Let the games begin as they always do!

2005JGC 07-15-2011 02:05 AM

Good to have you!

Smitty 07-15-2011 10:38 PM

Wow, where did this response come from. You must be one angry dude and clearly you have an attitude and i could care less about your sex life. I paid 30k for a jeep, it should not leak, end of story. Get off your high horse and quit patting yourself on the back for information you provided which was of no use. Help out or keep your comments to yourself.

2005JGC 07-16-2011 01:36 AM

Good luck, water leaks suck, sorry.

Smitty 07-16-2011 09:46 AM

First of all you didnt ask a question, you recapped the issue in statement form and put a question mark at the end? Like this. Ask a question and you will get an answer. Secondly, my experience is that most of the time when I take my car to the dealer they can't diagnose the problem or duplicate the issue and every time, i can give 10 pathetic examples this year alone, big stuff like headlights being very dim on a new vehicle or the speedo being off by 7 mph or a/c unit issues, they say nothing is wrong. I then have to show them exactly what is wrong, like the headlight wiring was wrong from factory, pcm was defective on speedo and resistor on a/c, and eventually how to fix it. On my jeep! 3x now the dealer has told me it is fixed and 3x now I have shown them not only is it not fixed it is not even close, water still streaming in. I have now diagnosed and shown them the entry points and am now telling them what pieces to replace or adjust. You dealers want to charge $100 an hour for expertise that often does not exist. I am tired of idiots working on my cars and playing games and everyone I know feels the same way. Fortunately I was a certified mechanic when I was younger and can navigate through the issues to get them resolved whereas other people just have to take it. There are two types of mechanics troubleshooter and replacers. Replacers cant figure out what the issue is and just replace parts until it is fixed, if the customer is paying for it they can get away with this as th customer doesn't know any better. If under warranty, they just say they cant duplicate because the mfr wont pay for parts and labor that dont resolve the issue.Troubleshooters like myself, identify root cause quickly and fix it right at minimal cost the first time. This skillset enabled me to move out of fixing cars and into fixing corporations and i now do corporate turnarounds. At this point I would appreciate if you would get off my thread and delete your comments as they are verbose, of no help and really just show how much you need someone to reaffirm your value. Dude, go away

2005JGC 07-16-2011 08:35 PM

your amazing... your ability to resolve all lifes mysteries, and yet your still here asking questions about a "simple" water leak, point taken, sorry... Ill move on.

Trasente 07-19-2011 10:31 AM

This sounds like huge issue. Any updates on the resolution? Are they going to make it right?

Milous 08-25-2011 02:37 AM

This repair document is a couple of years old so may not apply as much to 2011 models, but it offers some good info and tips on dealing with water leak repairs on the Wranglers:

WKJeeps.com - JK Water Leaks PDF