Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Overly sensitive alarm? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overly-sensitive-alarm-25652.html)

joshh 07-13-2011 07:16 PM

Overly sensitive alarm?

So I was washing my GC yesterday and the spray of the hose set the alarm off (the water pressure wasn't *that* high). So I run inside to get the keys to turn it off. No big deal, I suppose, I can just keep the keys in my pocket when I wash it from now on. Tonight I'm sitting at my computer and I hear that it's raining outside (typical south Florida weather) and the next thing I know I hear a car alarm and I look out the window and it's my GC again! So I run down stairs and grab the keys to shut it off (good thing the range on the key remote is good so I didn't have to run outside in the rain). I'm just glad I was at home and not sleeping or something. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the alarm? Perhaps even turn off the motion sensor altogether? This thing seems more like a liability than a useful feature...

12167jeep 07-13-2011 07:50 PM

Re: Overly sensitive alarm?

Maybe the door contacts? Basically you have to touch them to complete the curcuit i believe. Im thinking a short in one of the handles due to the water being involved both times. Could try hosing each contact and see which one it might be. I havent seenone of those overly sensitve alarms in a long time,(like when car alarms first came out) and rain and washing def shouldnt set it off. And for adjusting....i dont know of any settings.

fljeepleo 07-13-2011 08:27 PM

I've never even heard mine go off and I've climbed all over it while it was locked getting my bikes off. Sounds like a electrical problem.

jeepster23 07-13-2011 08:32 PM

Factory Jeep alarms do not have an impact sensor of any type. Therefore there is none to adjust.

joshh 07-14-2011 07:44 AM

OK, so it must have to do with the sensors in the door handle sensors then? I wonder why the alarm would go off if the car thinks someone is trying to open the door without the key nearby? Couldn't that be a completely innocuous scenario? No need for alarm, just keep the door locked.

fljeepleo 07-14-2011 07:49 AM

When I wash my car and my keys are in my pocket and I spray the doorhandle the doors will unlock. But no alarm. If I don't have my keys in my pocket nothing happens.

12167jeep 07-14-2011 08:09 AM

Im guessing on the handles. If its a short somewhere there who knows what could happen,ie the alarm. It might short thinking someone is trying to open it and then, bang the alarm goes off.So many wires and computers,who knows. Its the water part thats making me think it is around those areas. Gotta try to replicate it though or take it to the dealer and have them hook it up and see if somethings screwed up,but it shouldnt go off like that

12167jeep 07-14-2011 01:46 PM

Dont forget the button on the liftgate if u soak it down

joshh 07-14-2011 02:33 PM

OK, I guess I should take it back to the dealer as it sounds like there could be an issue...

12167jeep, are you talking about the lock button? What about it?

12167jeep 07-14-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshh (Post 447536)
OK, I guess I should take it back to the dealer as it sounds like there could be an issue...

12167jeep, are you talking about the lock button? What about it?

Yea the lock button on the chrome trim, if you were gonna hose it down. Might even be that since it locks and unlocks the doors.

joshh 07-14-2011 04:47 PM

Ah, good call.

By the way, is there a way to unlock all of the doors when touching the handle instead of just the driver's door?

12167jeep 07-14-2011 05:45 PM

Thats in the EVIC settings