Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Rec Nav radio issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/rec-nav-radio-issue-25668.html)

darwood 07-14-2011 02:48 AM

Rec Nav radio issue

I have a 05 GC with the REC nav radio and each time i get in and turn on the ignition it defaults to AM radio. This has been happening for as long as i can remember but I recently installed an ipod aux input adapter which i listen to a lot and it is now driving me crazy having to listem to static until I turn the volume down or hit the mode button to switch to VES. Is there some hidden menu or setting to correct this that i am unable to find?

jeepgcoman 07-14-2011 02:54 PM

Re: Rec Nav radio issue

Mine does the same thing occasionally, but not always like yours is doing. My LX, without the Nav. Unit, does the same thing from time to time. I attribute it to the electronics not waking up fast enough and don't consider it a big issue. One thing you might want to do is check to see if your vehicle had any TSB's on this subject and whether or not your CALID flash files are the most current for the PCM. When I bought my 06, it still had the original programming and there were 4 subsequent updates. After updating most of my minor driveability and accessory issues went away. Only one remaining is the stupid broad on the UConnect. I think she's on drugs sometimes and is clueless as to what I am asking her to do.....i.e. call a number that's programmed into it. Sometimes she even wants to know if I want to change languages. To us, it's more amusing than anything.

darwood 07-15-2011 11:06 AM

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will have to live with it. If there are any updates i guess the dealer is the only place to get them taken care of and i refuse to go back to any dealers in my driving area. I have been to them all and i would not trust any of them to even check the tire pressures :)

jeepgcoman 07-15-2011 01:48 PM

If yours is doing it all the time, I'd say you probably have an issue that would be a little more annoying than mine doing it periodically. If you have the 5.7 engine and a Diablosport tuner you can see which CALID files (PCM and TCM) you have installed and update them to the most current ones. The dealers usually hit you around $100+ to update, so if you bought the tuner, it would be like getting a $100 or so discount, plus you won't have to go to the ripoff dealer and you'll have a pretty good tuner too. Lots of other features on the tuner also.

99formulam6 10-16-2011 07:33 PM

Might be dumb... but is the memory for the seat/radio set to am and you didn't realize it?

Burner 10-23-2011 09:19 PM

Sorry I don't want to hijack your post, but I'm wondering if there is a way to find out if there are updates or not with out having to go to the dealership? Like by putting in your vin or something. Thanks for any help you can give me and the poster of this topic.

99formulam6 10-24-2011 07:05 PM

You can check the software version in the menu, or take out the disc. It has the version in the front on of it. I think they are on version AI or AJ now

Diboblo 10-29-2011 03:04 PM

The software in question is only for the NAV. I believe we are on AJ, now. There is an In-Motion hack available for the latest version...

The NAV software does not, however, have anything to do with the OP's issue, nor does it determine how the radio functions.

On the other hand... as stated, get your hands on a DiabloSport tuner (Predator) and update the CALID. This may help you, somewhat.

I can tell you that the REC Nav HU in my SRT8 Charger does this more often than not, but the REC Nav in my wife's RT Magnum NEVER does it. When you turn off the car, it keeps its last setting, when turned back on. I attribute it to gremlins... after all, these cars were designed during the "German Occupation".

Bob