Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   All Wheel Drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/all-wheel-drive-25669.html)

Gene 07-14-2011 06:47 AM

All Wheel Drive

Have a 4 wheel drive question....The new SRT8 has all wheel drive plus the limited slip rear end. How is this different from the options on the regular WK2 options ( outside of the 4 lo and QL). Jeep has so many options it is very confusing to me.
Mainly wondering about daily driving in ice and snow, not off roading.
Thanks for your help.
Gene

Schleprock 07-14-2011 07:30 AM

Re: All Wheel Drive

The new SRT8 does not have AWD, it is 4WD. AWD and 4WD are not the same.

mjw930 07-14-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 447290)
The new SRT8 does not have AWD, it is 4WD. AWD and 4WD are not the same.

Please explain the difference when you are talking about a single speed transfer case?

MikeH 07-14-2011 09:22 AM

AWD is power going to all wheels all the time. Isn't the SRT8 rear-wheel powered until there's slippage then it sends power up front?

soontobesrt 07-14-2011 10:48 AM

Well first things first this is a very confusing issue many dont understand but I think I can explain it better, if not google is ALWAYS your friend! - I don't think people realize that with a simple google search they can answer almost any question they could EVER have in a few minutes and clicks :)

ANYWAY, there are different types of 4wd, there is permanent 4wd and part time 4wd that can be engaged manually on 2wd vehicles for low traction situation. The Jeeps are none of that with all of them being full time 4wdrivers which is basically what AWD is its all time 4wd with no 2wd option and o low range. The new WK2s have QT 1,2 and QD2 all with different options but all delivering 4wd of some sort.

QT1 is full time automatic 4wd with no adjustment needed with open diffs.

The QT2 has the 2-speed tcase and splits torque across the front/rear axels with traction and can send all power to axel with traction

And the Quadra-Drive 2 has the LSD and will detect wheel slip and distribute torque accordingly to wheel with grip. Both QT2/QD2 are similar and will act similar but Id like the LSD personally, preference will vary of course :)

And the SRT8 has none of the system used in the regular Cherokees as it utilizes a different LSD which works just like one above in the other GC's. It is considered an AWD vehicle in that its all automatic and there is no low range or 2wd mode w/ any switched needed to change torque vectoring etc. So the new SRT8 is AWD but its really considered full time 4wd. Personally it doesnt matter, just know all wheels get power and that it will thoroughly increase traction in low traction situations :)

and heres spec thread about SRT8 driveline

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f172/2012-jeep-srt8-drivetrain-specs-axles-etc-24781.html

MikeH 07-14-2011 10:49 AM

Thanks for the explaination!

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 447384)
Well first things first this is a very confusing issue many dont understand but I think I can explain it better, if not google is ALWAYS your friend! - I don't think people realize that with a simple google search they can answer almost any question they could EVER have in a few minutes and clicks :)

ANYWAY, there are different types of 4wd, there is permanent 4wd and part time 4wd that can be engaged manually on 2wd vehicles for low traction situation. The Jeeps are none of that with all of them being full time 4wdrivers which is basically what AWD is its all time 4wd with no 2wd option and o low range. The new WK2s have QT 1,2 and QD2 all with different options but all delivering 4wd of some sort.

The QT2 has the 2-speed tcase and splits torque across the front/rear axels with traction and can send all power to axel with traction

And the Quadra-Drive 2 has the LSD and will detect wheel slip and distribute torque accordingly to wheel with grip. Both QT2/QD2 are similar and will act similar but Id like the LSD over the 2 speed tcase personally, preference will vary of course :)

And the SRT8 has none of the system used in the regular Cherokees as it utilizes a different LSD which works just like one above in the other GC's. It is considered an AWD vehicle in that its all automatic and there is no low range or 2wd mode w/ any switched needed to change torque vectoring etc. So the new SRT8 is AWD but its really considered full time 4wd. Personally it doesnt matter, just know all wheels get power and that it will thoroughly increase traction in low traction situations :)

and heres helpful thread about SRT8 driveline

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=24781

tri0829 07-14-2011 11:03 AM

I know jeep.com has a little write up and video about all their four wheel drive systems I watched it once in boredom soontobesrt basically summed it up pretty well though

Gene 07-14-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 447384)

And the Quadra-Drive 2 has the LSD and will detect wheel slip and distribute torque accordingly to wheel with grip. Both QT2/QD2 are similar and will act similar but Id like the LSD personally, preference will vary of course :)

and heres spec thread about SRT8 driveline

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=24781

Thanks for the info!! Appreciate it! It is sort of confusing with so many different applications!
Gene

mjw930 07-14-2011 04:48 PM

My question to Schleprock really wasn't answered. (but I already knew the answer, I was just curious why he thought what he did)

This pretty much sums it up

Quote:

Taken from http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/diff4WD_AWD.html

All wheel drive (AWD) is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. Full time symmetric AWD would be the best term to be used. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range" AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.
It pretty much points out that anything other than QTII or QDII is AWD so any WK2 with as single speed transfer case is really AWD and as such the SRT8 is AWD :)

SRTDogg 07-14-2011 04:49 PM

To add to the confusion, another way to think of ours would be Asymmetric 4WD.. Meaning it is not always the same at each wheel, but it is always managing and able to deliver power to all 4 wheels.

Scottina06 07-14-2011 05:56 PM

the SRT Jeep is also rear-biased until hard accelleration

MikeH 07-14-2011 06:48 PM

Ah, that's it... I was close!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 447639)
the SRT Jeep is also rear-biased until hard accelleration