Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   After market power mirrors? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/after-market-power-mirrors-25676.html)

shamus 07-14-2011 09:35 AM

After market power mirrors?

Any way to get these like the Europeans? Looks like theres even a space for a switch on the drivers side window/mirror control console where their switch is.

RageOfFury 07-14-2011 10:06 AM

Re: After market power mirrors?

Aren't the mirrors on all trim levels powered? Mine are on my Laredo "E".

xcespwr 07-14-2011 10:18 AM

I think he is talking about power folding mirrors. I am interested in this as well since the export versions have power folding mirrors and the original 2011 marketing material mentioned them, but they were never put on US versions.

I think this will be one of my first mods, hopefully someone has some info if it is a direct swap with the export part #.

RageOfFury 07-14-2011 10:22 AM

Ah, power folding. Well the mirrors aren't that big, so I don't really see a point to be honest. It's not like we have huge Ford F-350 mirrors.

xcespwr 07-14-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 447369)
Ah, power folding. Well the mirrors aren't that big, so I don't really see a point to be honest. It's not like we have huge Ford F-350 mirrors.

There is a point... Tell me you like getting out and running around to the passenger side mirror to fold it in every time you park in a garage. Hitting a button and having the mirror fold in automatically is a huge convenience, especially when driving solo.

RageOfFury 07-14-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcespwr (Post 447372)
There is a point... Tell me you like getting out and running around to the passenger side mirror to fold it in every time you park in a garage. Hitting a button and having the mirror fold in automatically is a huge convenience, especially when driving solo.

Never park my Jeep in a garage :indifferent:. Could be useful I guess.

xcespwr 07-14-2011 10:32 AM

It seems like the past couple years the parking lots are full of german cars with power folding mirrors which fold in automatically when you lock the car (I am sure this is an option). It makes sense to tuck in the only thing that sticks out in the mall or grocery store parking lot when you have idiots without a care in the world walking through cars with shopping carts and large bags hanging off them.

They are NOT necessary but seems like an ever common feature that can be helpful in many different situations.

netcoolery 07-14-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcespwr (Post 447378)
It seems like the past couple years the parking lots are full of german cars with power folding mirrors which fold in automatically when you lock the car (I am sure this is an option). It makes sense to tuck in the only thing that sticks out in the mall or grocery store parking lot when you have idiots without a care in the world walking through cars with shopping carts and large bags hanging off them.

They are NOT necessary but seems like an ever common feature that can be helpful in many different situations.

Gosh - I don't usually worry about parking lot damage to my mirrors. They are high enough up that shopping carts, car doors, etc. usually strike the Jeep below them.

Using my 98 JGC as an indication, there are many dings etc lower down, but nothing on the mirrors in 13 years.

I can see how the power folding mirror would be nice if you have to park in a very tight garage - fortunately my home garage is large enough.

AAAA 07-14-2011 12:50 PM

Wife's Volvo XC-70 does not have power folding mirrors so through the car wash we went and out the end with no driver's side mirror. Over $500 later... the car wash paid. Interestingly when I went back to the attendant and told him I was missing a mirror, he went in and came out with 3 for me the choose among!

Jeeters 07-14-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my townhouse's garage door is about 92" wide. The WK2, from mirror to mirror, is 84.8". So only about 3.5" to spare on either side when pulling in.

I don't have a WK2, yet, so this is a concern of mine. Gonna have to be extra careful.

netcoolery 07-14-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 447686)
Yeah, my townhouse's garage door is about 92" wide. The WK2, from mirror to mirror, is 84.8". So only about 3.5" to spare on either side when pulling in.

I don't have a WK2, yet, so this is a concern of mine. Gonna have to be extra careful.

Hmm - you might want to set up some sort of alignment guide to make it easy to pull in. Would save the anxiety when it's that close.

jefferson.oz 07-14-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I'm not a euro but I am an aussie and my limited came with folding mirrors, why don't they all?.... anyway, didn't think much about them until I parked in tight garage.... they're like alot of other little things on the car, not real important on there own, but all add up to make a great package.... I know we probably pay dearly for it but other things I notice as standard equipment include; headlight washers, "haven't used them yet", front tow hooks, cargo blind, carpet floor mats, 20" alloys, electric steering column adjust and little side lights on the fenders "they,re really mudguards" also get front parking sensors but I,m not sure if we all get those....