Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Video/Navigation/Alarms (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f165/)
-   -   730n rhr Lockpick install writeup (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f165/730n-rhr-lockpick-install-writeup-25712.html)

Radside 12-18-2010 11:04 PM

730n rhr Lockpick install writeup

8 Attachment(s)
I apologize upfront...this is a lengthy writeup. This is my 1st so was not sure how much detail to put into it. Hope it helps.

LOCKPICK CHRY550 INSTALL

• Tools needed. Electrical tape, 7mm socket or nut driver, flashlight, trim remover(optional)
  • Lockpick instructions – go to the Coastal Etech website and read their instructions and watch the install video to get an idea of what you will be doing. They give a good overview and some details but are not specific to the WK2. This install is for the Lockpick chr550 but applies to the regular lockpick as well (minus the ipod cable)
  • Bezel removal – you can spend 30 seconds by grabbing the bezel from the bottom and pulling or you can spend 5 or more minutes using the trim stick and prying the bezel off. I chose to use the 30 sec method and it is described as follows. Open the door to the center stack cubby. Reach above door and grap bezel from behind bezel. Pull bezel out from bottom. Work your way around from bottom to the top by pulling the bezel until it pops loose. Work you way around the entire bezel doing this until it is completely free from the dash. Don’t worry, it will not break. It has plastic clips that will come off before the bezel breaks.
  • Bezel harness – The AC/Htr controls have two wire harness connected to the back. Remove these harness by pushing on the quick disconnect clip and pull the harnesses free. Put the harness in a safe place like the back seat floor.
  • Radio removal – There are 4 screws securing the radio. Use the 7mm socket or nut driver and remove the four screws. Grab the radio by the metal housing rand ease it out. There are 2 large harnesses, 1 small harness, and two antenna cables on the back of the radio. All harnesses and cables are connected to the radio by quick disconnect connectors. Push the quick disconnect clips and disconnect all harnesses and cables from the radio.
  • Progress status/Observation - At this point, the center stack should be completely exposed. Behind the radio you will see a metal housing towards the firewall. It holds the back of the radio and the harnesses. Note that the bottom of the metal housing is recessed in the bottom which provides additional room for storing the extra lockpick wiring. There is also an opening at the very back of the housing which allows you to pack some of the wiring as well. You will need to do this in order to push the radio back during reinstallation.
  • Lockpick wireharness - Connect the wk2 harness and the lockpick harness connectors. Connect the Grey to grey and white to white. These connectors only fit one way so you can’t connect them to the wrong connector. However, check the pins in the female connector to ensure that they are all straight. If any of them are bent, the connectors will not full seat. Run the lockpick multip-pin connector (looks like a PC ide cable connector) from the back and above the metal housing towards the dash opening. Connect it to the lockpick box. It should connect on the right side box towards the firewall. The USB and iPod cables should connect on the dash opening side of the lockpick box. Connect these now. I used electrical tape around the USB cable and the lockpick box to ensure that it stays put. Push the box up into the dash. It will sit above the radio just under the dash board. I ran both cables to the left and over the left vent housing and snake it down into the cubby. There is an opening in the top part of the cubby on both sides that allow the cables to run into it without drilling holes. The only other place that I thought would be good for running the cables is if you want to run your cables towards the passenger seat floorboard area under the dash. Shine the flashlight up from the under the dash to find a cable path.
  • Lockpick – The lockpick box is pretty big and there are only a few places to install it in the dash in the radio area. I chose to put the box right above the radio. The lockpick box has to be positioned with the multi-pin connector towards the firewall and the USB and iPod cables towards the dash/radio front and on the right of the lockpick box.
  • Connect the harness to the radio and put the radio back into the dash. There is a lot of cables behind the radio so you will have to push it back of the housing and down into recess area to allow enough room for the radio to go back in to the housing. Test the radio before inserting the screws. If everything powers up and you get sound, you can put everything back again.

Jpjr 12-18-2010 11:14 PM

Re: Lockpick install writeup

wow thanks!

STIX 12-18-2010 11:16 PM

This is a great write-up, but I have one question. What are the jelly beans for?

Radside 12-18-2010 11:28 PM

I didn't eat them but my guess is they contained a mild sedative to keep you from freaking out after tearing open the dash on a $40K vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 319986)
This is a great write-up, but I have one question. What are the jelly beans for?

jrfenway 12-18-2010 11:32 PM

Very impressive. You are saving a lot of people on this forum from a lot of frustration!

Much appreciated!

robg 12-19-2010 04:57 AM

Great write up. On another thread, a user posted that their speed always shows 0 on the 430N with the Lockpick V3... possibly to "trick" the nav unit into thinking the vehicle is parked. What does it show with chr550?

Radside 12-19-2010 08:10 AM

It also shows zero. They probably use the same brain more or less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 320039)
Great write up. On another thread, a user posted that their speed always shows 0 on the 430N with the Lockpick V3... possibly to "trick" the nav unit into thinking the vehicle is parked. What does it show with chr550?

robg 12-19-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radside (Post 320058)
It also shows zero. They probably use the same brain more or less.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

jonesark 12-19-2010 11:38 AM

Wow! Thanks....couldn't have been better! Once you get some use out of this new lockpick could you give us a review on how it works and the pros and cons. I had just about made up my mind on the V3 when the 550 came out. Now I'm not sure which I should get. I understand this has the iPod cable but not sure I understand how that's different from just using the USB port in the armrest?

Thanks!

robg 12-19-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesark (Post 320106)
Wow! Thanks....couldn't have been better! Once you get some use out of this new lockpick could you give us a review on how it works and the pros and cons. I had just about made up my mind on the V3 when the 550 came out. Now I'm not sure which I should get. I understand this has the iPod cable but not sure I understand how that's different from just using the USB port in the armrest?

Thanks!

I don't own either, but I believe the 550 lets you output video to either the front display or rear VES display. The stock USB in the armrest is just for music.

Radside 12-19-2010 12:42 PM

Well the main difference is that it works with my iPhone whereas the USB connection did not. It also shows the album art if it is on my phone. The down side is that you can only control it with the steering wheel controls, there are no onscreen iPod controls...not a big deal though. You also get a bunch of expansion possibilities for cameras and other a/v equip but that wasn't a selling point for me because I'm not planning on adding another a/v toys. Oh yeah, here's a big one, it allows you to steam Pandora, iHeart or any other Internet streaming or music or video app you might have. Again, not a big deal for me since I rarely use those type of apps but some may instead or Sirius.

I'll follow up with a more detailed review after I play with it for awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesark (Post 320106)

Thanks!

yukon 12-19-2010 03:25 PM

Wow, GREAT write up and installation, makes me want to order one now and my vehicle is not here yet. :thumbsup:

Overland 4X4
5.7 L
Blackberry Pearl
ACC Pkg.
L/D Frost Beige
Ordered 9/17/2010