Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   High Temperature!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/high-temperature-25743.html)

Overland 2004 07-15-2011 03:45 PM

High Temperature!!

hi everybody
my jeep grand overland 2004 always coolant system need to fill by water after 2 days due to water reducing !!!!! and engine goes high temperature
without any leakage and we never found any problem during removed radiator for test !! i don't know how i can fix this problem?

Frango100 07-15-2011 04:42 PM

Re: High Temperature!!

In which circumstances does the engine go to high temperature, only with the car standing still or allways?
Did you check the carpet on the passengers side for being wet? Sometimes the cabin heater core starts leaking and this leak stays inside the car, leaving no traces in the engine compartment.
How much coolant do you have to add after 2 days?
The waterpump axle seal is known to start leaking after some time, any traces overthere?
Any smell of coolant from the exhaust pipe? Any signs of coolant in the engine oil?
Take care not to overheat this engine, because it will warp the heads and cause a lot more problems then you already have.

Overland 2004 07-16-2011 04:28 PM

In which circumstances does the engine go to high temperature, only with the car standing still or allways? when i parking car after continuous driving more than 100KM and but when i start drive again immediately Temp goes down(just need to move a car)
Did you check the carpet on the passengers side for being wet? Sometimes the cabin heater core starts leaking and this leak stays inside the car, leaving no traces in the engine compartment. yes today after ur advice but no any leakage
How much coolant do you have to add after 2 days? around 1 liter
The waterpump axle seal is known to start leaking after some time, any traces overthere? yes today and no any leakage
Any smell of coolant from the exhaust pipe? no Any signs of coolant in the engine oil? no
Take care not to overheat this engine, because it will warp the heads and cause a lot more problems then you already have.

i will try to changing radiator cap the mechanic said after we checked the car today
anyway THANK U VERY MUCH

Frango100 07-16-2011 04:49 PM

Did you check the cooling fan if its running at high speed when you stand still (and engine hot)? The hydraulic cooling fan always runs at around 500 rpm even with engine cold, but has to speed up when the engine temp gets high.
When you checked the radiator, was at that time the thermostat changed as well? During normal driving the thermostat will not open completely, but when standing still it probably will. When it won't, you will also end up with an overheating engine at idle.
When the radiator cap is bad, it will not keep the cooling system pressurized and as a consequence the cooling liquid will boil at around 100C. This could cause the coolant loss you mentioned, so a good idea to start with this.

Overland 2004 07-17-2011 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=Frango100;449055]Did you check the cooling fan if its running at high speed when you stand still (and engine hot)? yes, it is running in high speed when temp up .The hydraulic cooling fan always runs at around 500 rpm even with engine cold, but has to speed up when the engine temp gets high.
When you checked the radiator, was at that time the thermostat changed as well? During normal driving the thermostat will not open completely, but when standing still it probably will. When it won't, you will also end up with an overheating engine at idle.!! iam sorry, iam not understand ur meaning.
When the radiator cap is bad, it will not keep the cooling system pressurized and as a consequence the cooling liquid will boil at around 100C. This could cause the coolant loss you mentioned, so a good idea to start with this.
as u known the temp goes up if the water already reduced from radiator, and due to we not found any leakage the mechanic said maybe water steam leakage from cap and after that water reducing and engine goes hot!
anyway i will fixing the new cap after filling full water and will observe untill tomorrow

Frango100 07-17-2011 06:38 AM

I just ment that when the thermostat will not open completely, the engine can go into overheat when maximum cooling is needed.
I hope that you are using cooling liquid and not pure water into the cooling system, right?

Overland 2004 07-17-2011 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=Frango100;449276]I just ment that when the thermostat will not open completely, the engine can go into overheat when maximum cooling is needed. ok:) iwill check
I hope that you are using cooling liquid and not pure water into the cooling system, right? yes
but when i going to fill after water reduced i just fill by pure water ! do u think this safe ?

Frango100 07-17-2011 07:18 PM

Depending on where you live, the freezing point of the liquid could become a problem. Normally mixture is about 50/50, but when you only fill pure water every 2 days, the freezing protection will be reduced. Also the rust inhibitors and whatever other additives will become less effective. I would at least recommend that as soon as you have found the problem of the liquid loss, to change all liquid out for the right mixture.

Overland 2004 07-19-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 449620)
Depending on where you live, the freezing point of the liquid could become a problem. Normally mixture is about 50/50, but when you only fill pure water every 2 days, the freezing protection will be reduced. Also the rust inhibitors and whatever other additives will become less effective. I would at least recommend that as soon as you have found the problem of the liquid loss, to change all liquid out for the right mixture.

very good idea