Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Used 2011 Limited, what to look for? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/used-2011-limited-what-to-look-for-25770.html)

dahlberg123 07-15-2011 10:45 PM

Used 2011 Limited, what to look for?

I PASSED ON THIS WHITE GOLD LIMITED AND I AM CURRENTLY WORKING A DEAL FOR A MINERAL GRAY 3.6 LIMITED

I will hopefully be picking up a used 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited in white gold with the Hemi tomorrow.

Any specific things I should be looking for? Any questions I need to ask that are specific to this model? This one doesn't have the quadra-lift which is OK if you ask me, seems like one more thing that would go wrong.

Side topic but I live in MinneSNOWtah and over the years I've been pulled out of ditches and snowbanks and I figured I would prepare myself to return the favor. What do I need to accomplish this safely, a rescue strap and one of those trailer hitch D link adapters? Any suggestions?

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1...4728273150.jpg

moosehead 07-16-2011 09:05 AM

Re: Used 2011 Limited, what to look for?

Couple of suggestions, others may chime in.

1) test drive under spirited acceleration at moderate and highway speeds, go wide open throttle several times and from varying starting speeds. This is a check for smooth transmission, some have experienced shudder (check a search).

2) ask for detailed service history, check build date and for any TSB's done. If it is an earlier 2010 date (off driver side door sticker), a few TSB's will apply.

3) test all electronics: passive entry, hvac, quadra lift, suspension heights, select terrain settings, llighting

4) negotiate well below invoice and perhaps wiyh extended chryco warantee. Otherwise confirm through chrysler that you can qualify to purchase extended chrysler warantee (search here good info)

5) make sure you love the white gold. Check it in sunlight, shade, and dark. It is a less popular color, so you may get a better deal (no offense intended)

It is a great vehicle. Enjoy.

moosehead 07-16-2011 09:10 AM

My bad, I see it is no quadralift, Limited. This may actually be less fuss over time.

If it doesn't come with tow hooks, you may get the dealer to throw them in, installed. Good idea for easier snow rescues. If you will be using this for trail, skid plates are also a good addition. The Blizzaks are also available in 20" versions for snow, or consider an 18" winter setup. Mopar rubber slush matts are a must for winter and stay in my rig year round, maybe the dealer will throw those in too.

dahlberg123 07-16-2011 10:16 AM

Thanks for chiming in Moosehead!

To be honest White Gold wasn't my first color choice but there are only a few used limited around here. The original sticker on this one was $43,280 and they are asking $35,999 right now with 8,XXX miles on it. I hunt and fish which often requires crossing fields and shallow streams but certainly not rock crawling or anything too aggressive.

Any thoughts on the $36k price? Obviously I want to beat them up for the best deal but at what price do ya just walk away?

Quote:

4) negotiate well below invoice and perhaps wiyh extended chryco warantee. Otherwise confirm through chrysler that you can qualify to purchase extended chrysler warantee (search here good info)
I've heard about the MaxCare warranties that you can buy from chryslerwarrantys.com but has there been a problem with people not qualifying? I know that my car is a CarFax 1 Owner Car (whatever that really means) and it's within the mileage limits.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2425/2011gclimited.png

jp467 07-16-2011 12:33 PM

The price doesn't seem bad, but I would go over this vehicle throughly. I would take it on a long test drive at all speeds. Make sure you don't have any noises or vibrations. It would be good if you could find out why the previous owner got rid of it, but you probably won't get an answer on that. I would also ask for a print out of the warrenty service done on it. This will tell you it there were any problems with it.

dahlberg123 07-16-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 448914)
The price doesn't seem bad, but I would go over this vehicle throughly. I would take it on a long test drive at all speeds. Make sure you don't have any noises or vibrations. It would be good if you could find out why the previous owner got rid of it, but you probably won't get an answer on that. I would also ask for a print out of the warrenty service done on it. This will tell you it there were any problems with it.

Thanks! I just drove this one again and I noticed a few things I didn't see the first time. Unfortunately I am going to pass on this one and start looking at X Packages again.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Timgco 07-16-2011 06:01 PM

...my 2 cents fwiw.

If you like the color, as already mentioned, try getting into different lighting. You'll than see if you "really" do like it. This may seem tirvial, but I am one of those very picky people that do this when I look at different vehicles.

2nd, see if you can take the VIN to service and have them pull the service records for this truck. Maybe this was a lemmon/ maybe it was flawless and the previous owners just wanted something else.

3rd, I looked at the price and thought it was not too far off from new. go to www.edmunds.com and check out this truck to see invoice. I think if you research AAA membership or Tread Lightly membership, you'll find you can get it under invoice + incentives on a brand new Jeep.
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/chrysler_discount

If you check current incentives on edmunds.com, you'll find the WK2 has a $1000 rebate at this time.

So if you take the discount + 1K incentive, on a $43K truck, you can get one new for 40K +TTL. ..and if you look at a truck with less options, it will be even cheaper for you.

I juse saw the post where you decided to pass on this one. Good choice in my mind. Get exactly what you want vs buying a used one to save 1 or 2K!!! When you're looking at different config's on these trucks, you should be able to find one with everything you want/ nothing you don't want without issue. Out here in CO, the dealer lots are loaded up!!! Pick and choose.

...hope that helps.

SW03ES 07-18-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timgco (Post 449109)
If you check current incentives on edmunds.com, you'll find the WK2 has a $1000 rebate at this time.

Thats only on the Laredo E...

Timgco 07-18-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 449971)
Thats only on the Laredo E...

...just went back and checked Edmunds. That site shows Laredo, Limited, and Overland with 3.6L. however it may be different for your area. I punched in our zip here in Denver and it listed 1K for the above models I listed.