Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Mods for new WK8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/mods-for-new-wk8-25792.html)

SRTDogg 07-16-2011 05:32 PM

Mods for new WK8

Is anyone aware of any tuning shops working on mods yet?

It seems like as soon as a new rig comes out someone already has a fully-tuned version, complete with turbo or what have you.. :D

But I care about the simpler things, most notably shorter springs? Would shorter springs interfere or screw up the active Bilstein dampening system??? :( It just seems about an inch too high, although maybe it will settle some? I guess I need to see it in person too...

Others would be things like CF hood (Medic hood????) - talk about weight savings...

Also different exhaust systems?? I'm guessing it won't be loud enough stock?? :D I'm also guessing someone has already mocked one up for this rig, given it must be nearly identical (underneath) to the WK non-SRT model? Even if I keep the stock exhaust I'm going to get some new tips put on. I dislike the trumpet-looking black chrome tips. I want some bright shiny ones staring back at my victims when it leaves them in the dust.. :D

Schleprock 07-16-2011 05:40 PM

Re: Mods for new WK8

you won't see true performance mods for a long time, the ECM is a bear. They still have not cracked the 5.7L in the 2011's yet. Not to mention, I think it took almost 2.5 years to start seeing tuning for the WK1 SRT8.

SRTDogg 07-16-2011 05:58 PM

I agree, no engine mgmt for now, just looking for the basics. I wonder how free-flowing the airbox and exhaust are from the factory. The SRT guys will likely say they are already as free-flowing as they can be, BUT.... :D

Schleprock 07-16-2011 06:02 PM

contrary to what many want to think, intakes and exhausts don't do shit but change the engine/exhaust sound without tunes. MY opinion, but had enough cars, and modified ones, to come to that conclusion.

Scottina06 07-16-2011 06:15 PM

I have sooooo many plans for this jeep. It will be "bloodied" for sure.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SRTDogg 07-16-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 449110)
contrary to what many want to think, intakes and exhausts don't do shit but change the engine/exhaust sound without tunes. MY opinion, but had enough cars, and modified ones, to come to that conclusion.

On an E9X M3, those two mods together are good for +30hp at the wheels. It all depends on how constrained it is from the factory though, obviously...

SRTDogg 07-16-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 449119)
I have sooooo many plans for this jeep. It will be "bloodied" for sure.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see what you have in store!!

mjw930 07-17-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTDogg (Post 449120)
On an E9X M3, those two mods together are good for +30hp at the wheels. It all depends on how constrained it is from the factory though, obviously...

Not without tuning mods to the ECM unless the ECM has headroom built into it's adaptive learning, which most don't. As noted, on the new ECM no one has broken the encryption yet. When they do then it's likely you can actually get those gains. Just slapping an intake and exhaust without a tune rarely reaps any real world benefits.

SRTDogg 07-17-2011 09:56 AM

Yeah I don't expect much if anything to be had from intake+exhaust on the new Jeep, sadly. I recall putting an intake on my Charger SRT8 and while it got louder up front, the butt dyno was like "uhhhh, nothing?? seriously??" What a waste of money!

QuickOne 07-17-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTDogg (Post 449323)
Yeah I don't expect much if anything to be had from intake+exhaust on the new Jeep, sadly. I recall putting an intake on my Charger SRT8 and while it got louder up front, the butt dyno was like "uhhhh, nothing?? seriously??" What a waste of money!

Dogg,
did you get a tune to compensate for the more air flow?
That is where in lies the gains. It's not just the more air, the engine needs to know to dump more gas as well. And a few other "adjustments".

SRTDogg 07-17-2011 03:57 PM

No tune, I see all the toonatune stuff now but I am selling this so not gonna mess with it at this point...

Scottina06 07-18-2011 11:19 PM

very first mod I will do is paint that GOD awful chrome piece on the back hatch! Ill do it if I have to paint it myself when I pull in the garage.....