Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Removing liftgate chrome strip (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/removing-liftgate-chrome-strip-25875.html)

Ernest 07-18-2011 11:04 AM

Removing liftgate chrome strip

Has anyone removed or painted the liftgate chrome strip? Can the strip just be removed like the lower door chrome strips or the various badges, or is there a void in that area that needs to be filled by that strip? And finally, is anyone working on a "plain" aftermarket replacement strip for that area to eliminate the Jeep name embossed on the chrome strip?

aquaanox 07-19-2011 03:37 PM

Re: Removing liftgate chrome strip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest (Post 450014)
Has anyone removed or painted the liftgate chrome strip? Can the strip just be removed like the lower door chrome strips or the various badges, or is there a void in that area that needs to be filled by that strip? And finally, is anyone working on a "plain" aftermarket replacement strip for that area to eliminate the Jeep name embossed on the chrome strip?

Im going to plastidip it in a few days. Cant find the darn cans anywhere - out of stock at home depots. I think im gonna just spray it while on the car, unless is easily removed (i doubt it).

Scottina06 07-19-2011 03:44 PM

moose has removed his....

aquaanox 07-19-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 450936)
moose has removed his....

Cant find that post from moose. search = no hits.

logiman84 07-20-2011 04:25 PM

I had mine painted. Ill get a pic up soon. Unfortunately I cant help with details on how to remove it though because a shop did mine.

SixZeroFour 07-20-2011 05:34 PM

It's fairly easy to remove - no tools required. If you lift up at one of the corners and wiggle a bit from side to side the first few clips should pop out.

RyeGuy 07-20-2011 05:35 PM

I'm having mine wrapped in vynil along with the mirrors, and door handles. No need to remove and Rvynil has some inexpensive wrap. Infact for an extra charge you can pay for insurance so if you eff anything up during the install they will replace it.

SixZeroFour 07-20-2011 05:41 PM

Think I may have misunderstood... are you talking about the chrome part that says Jeep or the piece on the top of the bumper that protects it when you are loading stuff into the back?

Ernest 07-20-2011 06:08 PM

I was specifically refering to the "Jeep" strip on the liftgate, but info on removing or painting (or powdercoating) the strip on top of the bumper is also welcome.

SixZeroFour 07-20-2011 06:24 PM

My instructions above are to remove the lower trim piece. Here is a pic of the underside of the trim piece so you have an idea on the way the clips are situated should you want to remove it.

http://members.shaw.ca/mattob/reartrim.jpg

btw - I have a stock black trim piece from a Laredo (in the pic) if anyone wants to go black I'll trade ya for the chrome trim :)

I already have the chrome version on my Jeep but wouldn't mind having a backup

aquaanox 07-20-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixZeroFour (Post 451671)
It's fairly easy to remove - no tools required. If you lift up at one of the corners and wiggle a bit from side to side the first few clips should pop out.

Really ?? What about the unlock button ? Thx

aquaanox 07-20-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logiman84 (Post 451623)
I had mine painted. Ill get a pic up soon. Unfortunately I cant help with details on how to remove it though because a shop did mine.

Yes, pics please! Thx