Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Firm Leather Seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/firm-leather-seats-25878.html)

ewabich 07-18-2011 12:49 PM

Firm Leather Seats

I test drove an Overland for the first time this past weekend and the first thing I noticed is how hard the seats are. I'm wondering if this is due to the ventalation? The seats in the Limited seemd to have a bit more cushion but still felt much firmer than I would have expected. While I really liked everything else about the JGC, Both my wife and I can't see being very comfortable on long trips. Anyone else with the same opinion?

vikingdave 07-18-2011 01:00 PM

Re: Firm Leather Seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewabich (Post 450057)
I test drove an Overland for the first time this past weekend and the first thing I noticed is how hard the seats are. I'm wondering if this is due to the ventalation? The seats in the Limited seemd to have a bit more cushion but still felt much firmer than I would have expected. While I really liked everything else about the JGC, Both my wife and I can't see being very comfortable on long trips. Anyone else with the same opinion?

Actually although it may seem weird at first, these firm seats are much more comfortable for long trips than soft seats that you sink in to. Audi's and BMW's have hard these firmer, more supportive better seats forever. I can drive all day in my GC with the firms seats and never have my back get sore. It's non supportive seats that wind up being uncomfortable for long trips, kind of like trying to run a marathon in slippers, yes they feel soft on your feet but you don't want to go too far on them.

Lingohocken 07-18-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingdave (Post 450071)
Actually although it may seem weird at first, these firm seats are much more comfortable for long trips than soft seats that you sink in to. Audi's and BMW's have hard these firmer, more supportive better seats forever. I can drive all day in my GC with the firms seats and never have my back get sore. It's non supportive seats that wind up being uncomfortable for long trips, kind of like trying to run a marathon in slippers, yes they feel soft on your feet but you don't want to go too far on them.

But, your butt?

ewabich 07-18-2011 01:24 PM

It wasn't as much as a support issue as it was the bottom of the seats being hard, like they were just needing a bit more padding. We just went for a shourt test drive and it was very noticible to us. We drove quite a few other SUV's right after that, none being European models, and the seats were much more comfortable. Other than that I thought the JGC was a great.

netcoolery 07-18-2011 01:40 PM

Seat positioning can be a big factor. The nice thing about the Overland is you can adjust a lot of things about the seat (and the wheel) to find your most comfortable positioning.

In a related example: I've taken my new Summit back and forth to the California coast twice now. Initially, there were all sorts of complaints about uncomfortable seats from the back seat passengers -- then we adjusted the back seats to have a little more "lean back" (We had to take out all the stuff in the back that was pressing on the seat backs, adjust, then reload.)

The adjustments solved the problems 100%.

Lingohocken 07-18-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewabich (Post 450084)
It wasn't as much as a support issue as it was the bottom of the seats being hard, like they were just needing a bit more padding. We just went for a shourt test drive and it was very noticible to us. We drove quite a few other SUV's right after that, none being European models, and the seats were much more comfortable. Other than that I thought the JGC was a great.

Agreed. We have a 1994 GC Limited with what was then called "luxury leather" as an option. They are heavenly soft, and we've never had any issue with backaches or fatigue even on cross-country drives. So all the testimonials that the WK2's hard seats are really, honestly more comfortable tend to fall on skeptical ears hereabouts. Perhaps my wife and I are the only ones in this forum with lightly padded backsides?

Still, one of the many advantages of this forum is real-life feedback from an army of exacting users. So far it appears to be unanimous that the WK2's hard -- er, "firm" -- seats are comfortable after all, although few have commented on whether they get sore bottoms over time.

Every vehicle has issues that have to be weighed, and for us the word of JG users is the gold standard. If our Overland seats turn out to be too hard for our tender bottoms, we'll use a 1" foam pad with a coccyx cutout and hope it doesn't cause problems with the seat's cooling/heating setup. Barring that, we might have our custom upholstery wizard in Hatboro add some internal cushioning.

ColdCase 07-18-2011 06:59 PM

For reference, over the past week I spent 12 hours one day in the saddle, only stopping once for fuel... and then on another day, a 10 hour road trip both with no comfort issues at all... where in other vehicles with so called softer seats had I experienced hip, rump, or back soreness. I was also comfortable in my 06 RAM cloth seats as I think I could adjust them fairly well for my size. I cannot get comfortable even for 60 minutes in our Liberty, however.

Red G8R 07-18-2011 07:45 PM

I love the firm seats. They're still softer than my Audi or Porsche seats. I had one of my past GC's seat repadded because they were too soft.

It is a personal preference but others agree that firm seats are more supportive and comfortable for long runs.

Pursuit28 07-18-2011 08:15 PM

The most comfortable seats I have ever had in any vehicle were in my 2001 Grand cherokee limited. I am now driving a 2011 Overland and the seats are firmer than I would like but not as firm as my 2005 Limited, those were awful.

Candy Girl 07-19-2011 07:59 PM

I put off buying a new Jeep for years because I did not like the seats. My legs will go numb on me. But believe it or not, the seats in my Overland are great. The interior is Saddle. I am very surprised at the comfort level.

ewabich 07-20-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks to all for the great feedback. I'm going to try and arrange a longer test drive were I can keep the JGC for a full day and put some hours in the saddle....

bigpanda 07-20-2011 10:21 AM

I prefer firm seats and I think Jeep's trying to follow euro car's seats. But, please use better leather and try to copy Benz's seats.

I had the front driver seat bottom replaced and "newer" one had better leather.