Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Snow Blocker? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/snow-blocker-25951.html)

bigpanda 07-19-2011 07:02 PM

Snow Blocker?

2 Attachment(s)
My Overland did not come with the seals mentioned on other threads about water intruding into air intake.

So, I was searching for part numbers of the front lip seal under the hood and "water blocking" seal sits in front of the intake(see pics taken by the members in this site. Sorry I borrowed these pics.) Then I found out that the seal attached to the hood lip was actually called "snow blocker". Did I find the right part?

I thought I saw a post saying this "snow blocker" might block the air going into the air intake. So, I'm not sure whether I should get it or not.

Does any of you have right part numbers of the seals in the pics? Thanks.

RageOfFury 07-19-2011 07:48 PM

Re: Snow Blocker?

The seal that goes on the hood is there to prevent snow/water from going directly into the air intake.

The part number is 68084597-AA

My WK2 didn't have it and I notified my dealer. They ordered one and installed it. It was a warranty job. Didn't have to pay a cent for it.

I would highly recommend that you have your dealer install it. Better safe than sorry.

As for the that rubber block thing in the 2nd picture. My WK2 doesn't have that and the parts department at my dealer can't locate it in their system nor does it show on the mopar website. Ignore it.

rich mac 07-19-2011 11:40 PM

My WK2 Overland (Feb '11 build date) has the rubber block shown in the second picture. Doesn't look to block air flow. Seems to reason the engineers had some thought in mind when they put there.

bigpanda 07-20-2011 02:37 AM

Then, howcome we can't find the part number of that rubber block or its assembly? I feel Jeep engineers are cooking something strange behind the curtain.

AAAA 07-21-2011 07:34 PM

I believe the second piece (rubber block) is to help keep water that is splashed up out of the air intake of the engine.

zer0kid 07-22-2011 10:11 AM

The Limited I had didn't come with one, the Overland I got later did. Friend picked up an Overland two months ago with a late 2010 build date with no foam piece. When inquired about at the dealer they found another GC that one, removed it and glued it to his.

Sucks to be the person who buys that one :confused:

Celly 07-22-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zer0kid (Post 452691)
The Limited I had didn't come with one, the Overland I got later did. Friend picked up an Overland two months ago with a late 2010 build date with no foam piece. When inquired about at the dealer they found another GC that one, removed it and glued it to his.

Sucks to be the person who buys that one :confused:

... So it was added after the fact? This is quite curious.

bigpanda 07-22-2011 03:36 PM

I bought a hard foam block that came with adhesive side and put it on that spot in front of the air duct. But still rather want to have OEM part put on.

ataz27 07-23-2011 08:56 PM

is there supposed to be a rubber seal on both sides of the hood or just the driver side ? thought I might be missing the other one but not sure ?.? thanks

RageOfFury 07-23-2011 11:30 PM

Just the side of the air intake.

Eurosport 07-26-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataz27 (Post 453525)
is there supposed to be a rubber seal on both sides of the hood or just the driver side ? thought I might be missing the other one but not sure ?.? thanks

that threw me off at first too, until i looked down at what it protects...
still they should have just put one all the way around :thumbsup:

moosehead 07-26-2011 07:27 AM

Driver side only to protect the snorkle a bit. A full hood gasket is not really needed and would perhaps create some pretty hot engine bay temps.