Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   temp gauge pinned - help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/temp-gauge-pinned-help-25977.html)

jerseyshore 07-20-2011 10:48 AM

temp gauge pinned - help

Driving home from RXR station my Temp Gauge was pinned, and the check gauge chime and light went off. Luckily I was 100 yards from my driveway. I had just replaced the Tstat a few months back. When I checked under the hood the reservoir which was full. Is my water pump shot???, there was no visible leaking of collant anywhere. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

Chaoul1 07-20-2011 11:17 AM

Re: temp gauge pinned - help

Possibly your Electric Fan going bad?

CentralTexHemi 07-20-2011 11:25 AM

start the jeep up with the hood open, once it reaches your fan setting temps see if the fans come on if not could be your relays. Check your over flow tank make sure its not empty typically it will set off a CEL if it gets too low. If those 2 thinks check out fine I'd swap in your OEM t-stat or buy a new one and test again, if that doesn't work then yes move on to your water pump.

Doing the cheap, easy stuff typically pays off before just throwing parts at it. The relays are inexpensive, easy to replace in 5 seconds, the t-stat maybe 30 minutes.

JeepMe 07-20-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CentralTexHemi (Post 451454)
Doing the cheap, easy stuff typically pays off before just throwing parts at it. The relays are inexpensive, easy to replace in 5 seconds, the t-stat maybe 30 minutes.

The relay is about $60 for the WJ.

The relay CAN be a 5 second job if it's been done before. If it hasn't it either requires removing the bumper or cutting an access hole below the passenger headlight. In which case, it'll probably take 20 minutes.

jerseyshore 07-20-2011 12:05 PM

thanks so much guys, many thanks.

violant00 07-20-2011 12:27 PM

I actually just had this problem fixed yesterday. Have someone check out the fan because on my 00 wj it was not working at all.

My mechanic had change what he called was the "cooling temperature sensor" now the fan works perfectly. I also had my radiator flushed out as well.

CentralTexHemi 07-20-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 451470)
The relay is about $60 for the WJ.

The relay CAN be a 5 second job if it's been done before. If it hasn't it either requires removing the bumper or cutting an access hole below the passenger headlight. In which case, it'll probably take 20 minutes.

The relays I am referring to are the fuses for the high and low speed fan in the fuse box under the hood for the high and low fans they are only $10-12 for my SRT just pull them out and replace.

jerseyshore 07-20-2011 03:14 PM

thanks for the info, I'll definetly check all of your recommendations

Frango100 07-20-2011 05:22 PM

relay=fuse:confused::confused::confused:
You can better use the right words, otherwise just confuse the people.:slapfight: