Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Passenger side window off track (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/passenger-side-window-off-track-26048.html)

mjl2610 07-21-2011 08:30 PM

Passenger side window off track

Hey all, my 03 passenger side window seems to have come off track and dropped in the door. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would really appreciate any advice, recommendations, tips or tricks regarding this. Thanks a lot! :D:D

Chaoul1 07-21-2011 09:13 PM

Re: Passenger side window off track

WJJeeps.com is your best bet :thumbsup:

GiggityGiggity 07-22-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl2610 (Post 452420)
Hey all, my 03 passenger side window seems to have come off track and dropped in the door. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would really appreciate any advice, recommendations, tips or tricks regarding this. Thanks a lot! :D:D

you have to remove the door panel first. My window didnt fall off the track BUT i did have to replace my window regulator last winter and needed to disconnect the window from the track to do so.

to remove the door panel, there is 3 or 4 screws you need to locate and remove first. once thats done, you can pull the panel away be from the door. If you do it right.....some will say gentle and careful you dont break the clips, I say just give'r. Everything comes out in tact if your swift enough once the door panel is loose you can remove the electrical connections to the switches and then the panel can be taken out.

looking through door skin, you will see your window, you need to slide it back up to the fully closed position and tape it there so you can inspect inside the door.

you will find/see two metal clips that sort of look like paper clips bent out of shape that lock into a plastic retainer. if you dont see it, you may need to reconnect the power window switch to move the regulator up about half way in the door so you can work on it proper.

Once those clips are opened, you can carefully slide the window back down into the proper position, lock the clips and the window back in place, test it by operating the up/down switch. Once satisfied with your work, you can button it all up again.

Tip: make sure the door panel fastner in the upper back corner of the door panel is installer first and properly. its the hardest clip to get back in and if you leave till last, you'll never get that upper back corner of the door panel secured to the door and you will have a gap between the inside weather striping at the top of the door panel and the back of the window.

if you want some tips to help you along your way check this vid, it references the clips I was referring too in order to lock your window back in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkPo...A78574BF5327E9

mjl2610 07-22-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 452453)
WJJeeps.com is your best bet :thumbsup:

Yeah i already checked them out Paul, so that i could see how to take apart the door. I just need to make sure there is nothing weird or something im missing when it comes to working with the window itself.

mjl2610 07-22-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity (Post 452592)
you have to remove the door panel first. My window didnt fall off the track BUT i did have to replace my window regulator last winter and needed to disconnect the window from the track to do so.

to remove the door panel, there is 3 or 4 screws you need to locate and remove first. once thats done, you can pull the panel away be from the door. If you do it right.....some will say gentle and careful you dont break the clips, I say just give'r. Everything comes out in tact if your swift enough once the door panel is loose you can remove the electrical connections to the switches and then the panel can be taken out.

looking through door skin, you will see your window, you need to slide it back up to the fully closed position and tape it there so you can inspect inside the door.

you will find/see two metal clips that sort of look like paper clips bent out of shape that lock into a plastic retainer. if you dont see it, you may need to reconnect the power window switch to move the regulator up about half way in the door so you can work on it proper.

Once those clips are opened, you can carefully slide the window back down into the proper position, lock the clips and the window back in place, test it by operating the up/down switch. Once satisfied with your work, you can button it all up again.

Tip: make sure the door panel fastner in the upper back corner of the door panel is installer first and properly. its the hardest clip to get back in and if you leave till last, you'll never get that upper back corner of the door panel secured to the door and you will have a gap between the inside weather striping at the top of the door panel and the back of the window.

if you want some tips to help you along your way check this vid, it references the clips I was referring too in order to lock your window back in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkPo...A78574BF5327E9

This is very helpful. When I get home from work later I will be attempting this. We will see how it goes. Thank you very much.

Jeepin' Joe 07-22-2011 03:11 PM

It's an easy job. But first order the window regulator! And you might want to stick a srcewdriver between the glass and the doorpanel in case you want to get the spare part yourself.

mjl2610 07-23-2011 11:22 AM

When i took off the panel, the motor is like grinding so i assume that the cable is snapped or something with the regulator. It is very hard to see in the door. I saw that autozone has a regulator for 100 bucks. I may attempt this myself but i cant see it going well.

Chuck 07-23-2011 11:58 AM

My money is on a window regulator if your window fell all the way.

mjl2610 08-13-2011 07:18 AM

Forgot to respond back, but yes it was the regulator. All better now. :thumbsup:

WJDave 08-15-2011 07:32 AM

I went thru this too. Known bad/cheap parts used in the window regulator. I slamed my rear passenger door one day and bam.. window drops to the bottom. Looked it up on WJ and ordered a new regulator from fleabay and extra door clips. Had it fixed and working great in about 45mins.