Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   ACC Radar Sensor Replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/acc-radar-sensor-replacement-26051.html)

LorneInKelowna 07-21-2011 09:33 PM

ACC Radar Sensor Replacement

I have a message that comes on my EDIC when i start driving that says something to likes of: "Clean Radar Sensor in Front of Vehicle". I assume this is the bulb in the centre on the lower front facia under the bumper. I have wiped it down over and over and continue to get this notice along with "FCW Off" in bright amber in the EDIC as well. So, upon closer inspection I see there are scatches on the bulb, so I assume this will need to be replaced. I am not even going to try to get this covered by warranty, but seems it is a pretty poor design, nevertheless.
Question is, over the winter, I am going to assume I am going to have a rock or two hit this as well... how sensitive are these things, how much to replace, how easy to replace and can a cover be put over them to protect them or does that screw up the 'radar' operation? If cover could be put over it, any suggestions on how to go about doing this or if there is something already out on market?

ENFORCER 07-21-2011 10:46 PM

Re: ACC Radar Sensor Replacement

I am going to look at the clear bra 3m stuff for mine, as I expect it will not be a cheap fix.

mjw930 07-22-2011 10:30 AM

Not sure why you wouldn't take it in for warranty replacement? These must be capable of handling basic road debris and scratches or they are worthless. Of course having it break due to a rock or debris is different but basic road wear would be considered normal operation IMHO.

xj31 07-22-2011 11:34 PM

I think that you can just get that cover seperate.It's like $3-$4.try this for a part number 56054167AC
The actual sensor is about $1700.00
That's U.S. dollars.

Mal S 11-21-2012 03:53 AM

I bought my first 4WD in the form of a Grand Cherokee Overland, took it on a course and bumped the air dam on a tricky little crossing.

It turns out if I'm lucky I've just cracked the sensor lens and that'll cost me NZ$1,500 and if I'm unlucky I've toasted the sensor and need a new one at $9,000. Are there any options to get these things on line and just have the Jeep shop fit it?

yammie 11-25-2012 05:23 PM

Have had the same problem with the acc sensor. Was quote $6500 to replace, dealer said the front was scratched therefore not under warranty.
I ended up taking the sensor out and found that it had moved in the plastic adjuster keepers putting it slightly off straight. This happened when the font bumper copped abit of a hiding while 4wding. simply straighten the sensor on the mounting plate via the 3 screws. no problems since.
You would expect the dealer to aleast recognise this.

Mal S 11-25-2012 05:54 PM

Thanks. I've got the insurance company covering it. But I'll take a look anyway because that'll cost excess plus loss of no claims bonus. And I get the thing complaining it wants to be cleaned so perhaps it is just badly aligned. I think the Jeep guys here have seen enough of these things to know.

BuckeyeSRT 12-05-2012 08:37 AM

I have been having this problem suddenly as well. Mine just shuts off about ten minutes into a drive when it is raining. I have been also getting the BRAKE! triangle alert when I have zero car of obstacle in front of me.

BuckeyeSRT 12-06-2012 09:17 AM

Just got back from my service appointment.
Bottom line: it did throw codes but no action was taken.
They said the sensor will shut down in heavy rain or fog or snow.
Funny thing was the code stored all the data including my speed (73mph) at the time of the malfunction. Adviser laughed like 73 is too fast. I said I thought I had it set much higher. :)

JFD328 12-06-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 720620)
3mph) at the time of the malfunction. Adviser laughed like 73 is too fast. I said I thought I had it set much higher. :)

lol :lol::lol:

Enricocile 11-02-2013 01:44 PM

Good day Y, I ALSO DO HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM AND MOST LIKELY DUE TO DISALIGNEMENT FOR A SMALL TOUCH SOMEWHERE , AS THERE ARE NO SCRUSCES / CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW YOU DID YOU STRAIGHTEN THE SENSOR WITH THE 3 SCREWS ? DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE PLASTIC COVER? ARE THE SCREWS EASILY SEEN ? HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS ALIGNED WELL OR NOT AFTER MOVING THE SCREWS ? ANY WAY TO SEE IT JUST BY LOKING AT THE SENSOR ? MANY ThANKS YOUR SUGGESTION AND HAVE A GREAT DAY !

Quote:

Originally Posted by yammie (Post 715220)
Have had the same problem with the acc sensor. Was quote $6500 to replace, dealer said the front was scratched therefore not under warranty.
I ended up taking the sensor out and found that it had moved in the plastic adjuster keepers putting it slightly off straight. This happened when the font bumper copped abit of a hiding while 4wding. simply straighten the sensor on the mounting plate via the 3 screws. no problems since.
You would expect the dealer to aleast recognise this.

exlr8 11-08-2013 09:16 PM

I just discovered these sensors are a little more sturdy than the dealers believe.

I took my car back for the second time after I had the ACC bracket clips replaced after a little knock off road (nothing too major). I had to take it back the second time after they installed the new clips and I still got the FCW Off warning (obviously didn't test it). Their response the second time was the sensor has been damaged and you will need a new one for $6000.

Thinking this is BS I had a bit of a debate with the tech at the dealer about what treatment this item should withstand and he basically just wanted to state his experience/credentials to me and too bad, my problem.

Today I pull off the front air dam to check everything is in order and see the L bracket has the sensor facing downward a little/fair amount. I bend it back to vertical and take it for a 20min drive. No more FCW Off warning! Before that it would always appear within 1-10mins of driving.

Guess I'm looking for another dealer that isn't so lazy and/or incompetent.