Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Programming HomeLink to Garage Door Opener (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/programming-homelink-to-garage-door-opener-26054.html)

LorneInKelowna 07-21-2011 09:55 PM

Programming HomeLink to Garage Door Opener

Just a heads up (and a bit of admission of my stupidity)...
I was trying to program my Homelink to my garage door opener and followed the instructions in the manual and also on Homelink.com site and also step by step automated instructions on Homeline 1-800#. To no avail. I tried both with remote and by using the 'learn' button on the opener (note: opener is a "Steel-Craft" and remote is a "Skylink").
Finally, i called Homelink during business hours to get a human to walk me through it. Big red flag went up as soon as i said i was using a Skylink remote. Apparently HomeLink does not support this. So, luckily enough, we have a keypad mounted outside of garage door (note: keypad is a "LiftMaster").
As soon as I unscrewed this from wall (rep waited on phone for me to do this!), I followed the following instructions from the HomeLink rep:
1. move jeep outside of garage about 5 feet, keep Jeep running;
2. press both outside buttons (I and III) of the HomeLink until light quickly flashes (this just clears any previous programming that may be lingering);
3. enter the 4 digit pin on keypad;
4. press the keypad "Enter" button at same time as the HomeLink button i wanted to program (ensuring keypad is held closely to the HomeLink unit mounted on Jeep ceiling).
This did it! Programmed. By the way, rep even stayed on to ensure the keypad was still working (I guess sometimes linking another device may clear the other?)... all was fine.
So, just a warning, you may have issues programming your HomeLink if you are using Skylink remote.

jerryw1000 07-27-2011 10:59 AM

Re: Programming HomeLink to Garage Door Opener

Yeh, I did a stupid too trying to program mine to my old Craftsman rolling code garage door opener. The part where is says something to the effect of "hold down the Homelink button for two seconds" and it should be programmed. Well I kept going through the whole procedure and holding the Homelink button for two seconds......thousand one....thousand two. No luck. Went to the Homelink web site and they said the same thing but still no luck. Then I watched the Homelink video and they did not just hold the button for two seconds. They held the buttons until the blue LEDs came on solid. It actually took about 5 seconds to link up to my old Crafstman. Once I held the button until the LEDs came on it worked fine. They should at least mention that the LEDs have to come on in their instructions. If I had not seen the LEDs in the Homelink video I would still be out in the garage cussing and sweating. I know I should have been smart enough to try holding the button longer but I am one of those guys who following instructions literally.

Escape 07-27-2011 03:46 PM

Link to vid? I have never been able to get mine to work.

AAAA 07-28-2011 08:36 AM

Mine is Overhead Door Python model. First did the "connect" for non-rolling code door, then did it following instructions for rolling code doors. Works fine. Hardest part was climbing down the step ladder after pushing the learn buttom quick enough to get into the vehicle out in the driveway and finish the job.

jerryw1000 07-28-2011 04:21 PM

Link to Homelink video. Choose your car and door opener.

http://www.homelink.com/program.php

Escape 07-28-2011 09:14 PM

Thanks!

SwampLife 11-20-2013 03:51 PM

Thank you as I was about to loose it here. I have not done the job yet but I bet your procedure will work.

NO ONE at the JEEP place where I dropped 30 grand a couple of days ago could get past my old face and talk to me about the vehicle's opener programing like I still had some brain matter left. They did however accept my $30,000.00 check with no problem.:rolleyes:

SwampLife 11-21-2013 10:33 AM

Procedure works fine - after initial programing - must put other device(s) next to the car button(s) then do the learn button thing too. The manual does state this but it only makes sense when you already know how to do it.
Easy but never would have got it otherwise

Thanks to Jeep garage

Jarek0423 11-21-2013 12:55 PM

For what it's worth I followed the instructions in my Grand Cherokee manual to the word and it worked fine for me...

SwampLife 11-21-2013 01:02 PM

I must have been distracted while off roading in the Whole Foods parking lot

Setoutguy 11-21-2013 01:08 PM

I did mine following the directions in the owner's manual. Took two tries and it was done. Wasn't that difficult. Maybe it was easy for me since garage door opener is over 15 years old.

jacko15 11-21-2013 05:44 PM

I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, with my one year old opener, and it worked the first time.