Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Bumpy shift (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/bumpy-shift-26075.html)

Jeepin' Joe 07-22-2011 12:12 PM

Bumpy shift

Hi everybody, hope u can help me. I've been back and forth over the forum but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

For over two years now, I own a WJ 4.7 model 2002. I love her and we had many good miles, but sometimes (as in now) she makes me crazy. I often drive her from Holland to Crete (Europe) and every time I arrive to Crete, in several days the tranny starts to act weird (this could be a coincidence).Now it occasionally shifts down and back up again immediately with a bump. It happens between 2 and 3 and also when going into overdrive. It only occurs with very low throttle. When I step on the gas there seems to be no problem at all.

The engine fluids are fine, this I know for sure. The environment on Crete is much different from Holland. For example: the gasoline isnít the best you can get, the outside temperature is much hotter and the roads are much steeper, but could this have anything to do with anything? Anyone has any idea?

2004wjmedic 07-22-2011 12:26 PM

Re: Bumpy shift

I believe your transmission actually has two 2nd gears. One for accelerating and one for downshifting. Maybe this is what you're feeling?

Jeepin' Joe 07-22-2011 03:22 PM

Could be. But I don’t know. It’s shifting very bumpy all of a sudden. Feels like hitting a big puthole.

01grand 07-22-2011 04:13 PM

Has the check engine light come on at all? I had a kind of similar issue but all within the same environment, it was a bad throttle position sensor. It would shift hard and at strange times, especially at low rpm's.

Frango100 07-23-2011 05:38 PM

I would also put my bet on the TPS, even without the check engine light on.

Jeepin' Joe 07-29-2011 10:27 AM

I know now that it occurs only when shifting down, no matter what gear. Not all the time but very often. I'll try the tps. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Jeepin' Joe 07-29-2011 10:28 AM

ow, and indeed the check engine light comes on now and then.

Frango100 07-29-2011 12:38 PM

So is any DTC stored?

Jeepin' Joe 07-30-2011 06:16 AM

Yes, it is p0121. I think this is the tps.

01grand 07-30-2011 01:49 PM

Yes! That is the exact code I was gettting with mine. It was intermittent for a while but at the end it was on constantly. All it takes is a torx screwdriver. 2 bolts and one wire clip and its out, takes mabye 15 minutes. I removed the air box for easier access but you might be able to just work around it.