Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   6.4 Tuning ability? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/6-4-tuning-ability-26104.html)

QuickOne 07-22-2011 09:29 PM

6.4 Tuning ability?

I don't know how many of us are worried about this just yet, but the Challenger guys are already all over this. I personally have asked SRT about the ability to tune the new engine management systems and they have been unresponsive to my requests.
However I just read this :
Quote:

The PCM is indeed encrypted and maybe unhackable, but that isn't 100% certain of course. The post above is correct with regards to Diablo, stating that no PCM on the 6.1 or 5.7 in fact has ever been "hacked" by them. Diablo reverse-engineers exactly as greenspanDan has mentioned above - they do not successfully hack the ECU.

With that said, it was also confirmed to me that nothing is different between the 6.4L PCM and the 6.1 PCM. The ability for Diablo or other tuners to do what they do is INDIFFERENT in comparison to years past. I know that some of you may find this hard to believe, but when I say the personnel in this meeting were as credible as it gets, believe it.

Lastly, I would like to add one thing here. Finding this out is NOT part of my job. I did this because I really do care about all of Chrysler's customers and enthusiasts and I believe you all should have the right to know the capabilities of your vehicle. I ask that you please be respectful of this information considering that I had to work extremely hard to get these people in this meeting to discuss this with them. Everyone is extremely busy, but everyone also cares which is why I called for this urgent and high priority meeting.

As a final note, I have shared with them your frustrations regarding the whole "tuning issue" as it stands with regards to having more "open tuning" capability from the factory like GM and Ford offer. I can assure you that I will be following up on this issue to obtain further detail of how this might be possible in upcoming model years (and making it so on previous model years as well).

Please keep your comments respectful, and please be assured that Chrysler is dedicated to providing a quality ownership experience to all of their customers and enthusiasts.
This is promising info to hear and I'm sorry I can't validate this info. But it is very interesting how it touches on some of the sore spots us enthusiasts have voiced concern over recently.

Frankie 07-22-2011 09:35 PM

Nothing is 100% hackproof! ;)

Sent From My EVO

Schleprock 07-22-2011 09:39 PM

Re: 6.4 Tuning ability?

who is that speaking? Gilles? Another SRT Engineer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 453088)
Nothing is 100% hackproof! ;)

Exactly, if the Pentagon can be hacked, then a friggin PCM on a car can ;)

SoCalMoparWK 07-22-2011 10:03 PM

The ecu will get hacked soon enough...just wait...

QuickOne 07-22-2011 10:09 PM

He is a verified SRT Development insider. He/She is in Detroit and is a aftermarket researcher for feedback and modifications done to the Challenger.

robpp 07-22-2011 10:14 PM

it took 3 years to reverse engineer the 6.1, hopefully quicker than that for the 6.4/

Scottina06 07-22-2011 10:39 PM

if its the same...itll be a lot shorter time. B&G perfromance is ALREADY tuning 2011+ hemi's...5.7 and 6.4's....FYI

ENFORCER 07-23-2011 09:25 AM

Why is hacking the ECU so important, when they can just put a piggyback on it and tune away? Interceptor or Piggyback modules trick the ECU, so that it can be tuned with a locked ECU and you can still have control over the important things like the fuel maps. The only things lacking would be cam and gearbox control, but it will atleast allow you to put a blower or bigger injectors and a cam.
Just a thought, but I am not familiar with the Jeep ECU's, so I may be way off base.

Harrison@Stage6 07-23-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 453244)
Why is hacking the ECU so important, when they can just put a piggyback on it and tune away? Interceptor or Piggyback modules trick the ECU, so that it can be tuned with a locked ECU and you can still have control over the important things like the fuel maps. The only things lacking would be cam and gearbox control, but it will atleast allow you to put a blower or bigger injectors and a cam.
Just a thought, but I am not familiar with the Jeep ECU's, so I may be way off base.

When you acutally see what the Diablo CMR software can do vs. a piggyback, then you'll know why it's important to have access to the car's PCM. I was told by a Diablo employee that it will be to at LEAST the end of the year. According to the SRT engineers we talked to last weekend.... it's not the same as the 6.1L's. It's much more complex due to the intake runners being adjustable and other new parameters added. It'll happen but not for a bit.

mlarco52 07-23-2011 12:32 PM

I also agree, it will be hacked, many are complaining that it won't because its already been a year with the 2011's and so on, however, didn't the first stuff for the 6.1 come out after 3 years after being worked on?

Scottina06 07-23-2011 03:27 PM

the pcm's are the same for the 6.1 and 6.4's...straight from B&G.

Harrison@Stage6 07-23-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 453404)
the pcm's are the same for the 6.1 and 6.4's...straight from B&G.

It's not the same PCM. The 6.4L is a GPEC 2 vs. 6.1L NGC4 and NGC4A according to the SRT engineers last weekend. The problem isn't the PCM... it's the encryption. Sorry but Dave Kasper has it wrong. The NGC4A is used in 2009+ 5.7's b/c it can control the VVT. The NGC4A is also used in the 2010 6.1L, but the VVT part isn't used. 2009 6.1L manual cars also use the NGC4A.