Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   4.7 grand cherokee issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/4-7-grand-cherokee-issues-26172.html)

Scott333 07-24-2011 12:27 PM

4.7 grand cherokee issues

Hi just wondering has anybody else come across these problems
1-remote only works when your nose is near pressed against drivers door glass (yes i have changed battery)
2-hard to start takes at least 3 go"s before she fires up then runs fine will start on first go if it has been running in the last half hour,reading some other posts i see fuel reg is in filter will try that first.
3-central locking was working fine now only drivers door unlocks either by remote or drivers door release button , now that's a pain cause tailgate n passenger doors have no key barrels.
4-makes mega fart/grinding noise from under passenger side dash when car is turned off
5-cruise lights up but wont engage
I know its a bit of a list, just thought some might be common faults with this model any help would be appreciated
Best regards Scott.

Frango100 07-24-2011 03:38 PM

Re: 4.7 grand cherokee issues

1) Remote is indeed a bit unsensitive. There is not much to do about this. The receiver sits in the passenger side door module, so maybe pointing more in that direction can help.
2) Good idea.
3) Are the power windows still working? If not, your problem is probably a broken wire in the drivers door boot.
4) ???
5) Cruise control is vacuum controlled. There is a vacuum reservoir somewhere under the battery. Follow the vacuum lines and check for chaving/broken line.

TJXJWJ 07-24-2011 09:19 PM

The farting noise is your HVAC...I think that's your blend door(s) closing. I probably would have never known about it had I not shut off the Jeep and sat in it for a minute or so afterwards. I don't think that noise means there's anything wrong.

Scott333 07-25-2011 07:42 AM

Windows all work fine occasionally doors will unlock but becoming less and less all lock/unlock easy by hand will check relays apart from that may just have to bight the bullet and take it to mechanic.
thanks for all the advice gonna look into that vacume cruise deal too.
All the best Scott.

Frango100 07-25-2011 01:33 PM

Do you have a second key fob and if yes, is that acting the same way? Not sure if there is anything to do with the antenna from the receiver, to make it more sensitive.

Scott333 07-26-2011 07:56 AM

Nah mate only one key, i have heard of people extending the antenna but replacing system with an aftermarket unit seems like the only real answer.you would think jeep would have addressed this issue or at least have a fix as it seems to be common with this year and model but that's big business i guess.

TJXJWJ 07-26-2011 08:04 AM

My range sucks too, but I've gotten used to it. Do I really need to unlock the doors from further away than 30 feet or so? I'm not so sure I do. Keeping the remote battery relatively fresh seems to help.