Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   18" vs 20" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/18-vs-20-a-26224.html)

Frankd 07-25-2011 01:33 PM

18" vs 20"

I am preparing to place an order for a 2012 Overland. Does anyone have any recommendations for tire/wheel size ? Outside diameter of oem 18 or 20 is exactly the same. Dealer told me that 18" will have greater sidewall height, and will have a softer or smoother ride. I do not plan on off-road use. Thanks

Scottina06 07-25-2011 01:36 PM

Re: 18" vs 20"

welcome! Your gonna get lots of opinions. My opinion is go for the 20". The wheel is nicer and it and it seems to fill the jeep out better. You will also get a little better handling/cornering.

moosehead 07-25-2011 01:37 PM

IMO, go with the 20" Overland style especially if you aren't going to do any trail driving. The 20" are some of the best Jeep wheels ever in the looks department, and I've taken mine on light trail no problem. I only need the 18" for moderate and above trail use, and for deep snow where more aggressive rubber and additional forgiveness of the extra sidewall are benefits.

vikingdave 07-25-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 454499)
IMO, go with the 20" Overland style especially if you aren't going to do any trail driving. The 20" are some of the best Jeep wheels ever in the looks department, and I've taken mine on light trail no problem. I only need the 18" for moderate and above trail use, and for deep snow where more aggressive rubber and additional forgiveness of the extra sidewall are benefits.

Your dealer is 100% correct about the softer ride with the 18". Many people still prefer the 20" for appearance, but unquestionably the 18" will provided a softer ride, while the 20" will provide better handeling. It's a personal choice, but I prefer the 18's. After spending a lot of time driving several different ones, I found that I greatly prefer the ride with 18" wheels, and with real springs rather than the Quadra-lift suspension, it's the softest most isolated feeling of all the new grand Cherokees, but still handles pretty well for an SUV. I just don't run into many problems with my 18" wheels sliding around corners and losing grip to warrant the harsher ride of the 20's, in fact I have yet to break loose on dry pavement going around a corner with my 18's.

jp467 07-25-2011 04:57 PM

I have the 20"s on my Overland. I have driven both and you will have a much better ride with the 18's, but the trade off is the the looks the 20's look great. Its too bad there isn't one choice that has great looks and ride.

Frankd 07-25-2011 07:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info. I am sure my wife will like the ride with the 18's better, so that is probably where I am headed. I think there are probably more 18" replacements available, for when they are needed.

mjw930 07-25-2011 09:50 PM

Drive them before you decide, the dealer should have some you could demo. The ride with the 20's far from harsh and I believe the only way to get the 18's is to order the off road package.

I guess it comes down to what you are used to. I've owned sports cars and sports trucks my entire life and consider the Overland with the 20's to be quite soft. With the 20's the truck feels like a fine sedan, the 18's made it feel numb and disconnected, a feeling some may like but something I loath.

moosehead 07-25-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 454809)
Drive them before you decide, the dealer should have some you could demo. The ride with the 20's far from harsh and I believe the only way to get the 18's is to order the off road package.

I guess it comes down to what you are used to. I've owned sports cars and sports trucks my entire life and consider the Overland with the 20's to be quite soft. With the 20's the truck feels like a fine sedan, the 18's made it feel numb and disconnected, a feeling some may like but something I loath.

^this

jp467 07-25-2011 11:33 PM

My complaint with the 20's is not so much the ride its more the steering. If your on fairly smooth roads the handling is good with the 20's, but on the rough roads which we have plenty of where I live it seems like I am always fighting the steeing wheel. I had a Limited with 18's before I got the overland and it was not that way. With the 20's when I hit those bumps it want to pull the steering wheel one way or the other. It could be that it just needs some better steering dampening with the 20's.