Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Loud clicking noise coming from the driver's side wheel.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/loud-clicking-noise-coming-from-the-drivers-side-wheel-26250.html)

bkain555 07-26-2011 02:57 AM

Loud clicking noise coming from the driver's side wheel..

When I am making a left turn, my 02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD/AWD makes a loud clicking sound (like the sound the "Wheel" from the Wheel of Fortune makes when it is being spun, except higher in pitch) until I straighten the wheel and accelerate. It almost sounds as if it is the muffler but the research ive done shows it could be a number of different things, such as; bearing issues, wheel-size, rusty parts that need WD-40 and even differential fluid. It may be important to note that it only does it SOMETIMES and the sound even stays for a about 5 seconds after i complete the turn. I just purchased this Jeep on Saturday and it runs amazingly except for that noise. I am hoping it just requires me to put some WD-40 in the struts as to save the gas money to go to the dealership. Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

TJXJWJ 07-26-2011 07:49 AM

Re: Loud clicking noise coming from the driver's side wheel..

Start with the easy stuff...Check entire tire tread for rocks, etc stuck in the tread...then turn the wheel all the way in both directions an make sure it's not hitting anything.
If it passes both of those tests, I'd start looking into bearings, brake pads/calipers and front axle issues. It's not going to be exhaust related, nor will it be a WD-40 fix at that point.

bkain555 07-26-2011 01:10 PM

Thanks. I took it over to my brother's house who worked as a mechanic for a while. We did what you said, turned the wheels, and saw it wasnt hitting anything. It got new brakes and rotors right before i bought it. He concluded that it was toe-wear that made the noise and that the tire will eventually even itself out (parallel itself to the ground and other tires). I'm hoping this is the case. It seems to be getting less and less noticeable but it is also lasting longer after I turn now. Only left-hand turns does it make the noise. Do you think my brothers conclusion is correct or legitimate?

TJXJWJ 07-26-2011 04:53 PM

I don't...but I didn't look at it like your brother did.
Rotate your rear tires to the front and the fronts to the back and drive it for awhile. If the noise goes away, then his diagnosis might be right.

bkain555 07-28-2011 08:44 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I did what you suggested and, sure enough, it worked. Greatly appreciated.