Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Removing Badges (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/removing-badges-26258.html)

Siebz 07-26-2011 12:49 PM

Removing Badges

Due to careless pressure washing most of the protective plastic has been blasted off the decals. Due to the Oxidizing, they aren't as shiny as they were.

So, how hard is it to remove these badges, and what is the best method to remove them with minimal damage to the unlying paint...?

Cheers!!!

Levi

JeepMe 07-26-2011 01:53 PM

Re: Removing Badges

They are very easy to remove. I used some fishing line to pull a corner up, then grab it with your fingers and pull it off. Some people my disagree with what I'm about to say, but I've done it on all my vehicles w/out any bad effects. I then put some gas on a rag and used that to remove any adhesive left on the paint. I immediately washed the gas off the paint.

Make sure to wax where the letters were when finished.

TJXJWJ 07-26-2011 02:31 PM

I was able to do it all by hand without the use of any line. Once off, I used goo-gone, washed it, hit all the areas with some polish, then wax to blend it in. The paint under those badges is perfect, so if the area around them is not, you may need to do a little polishing.

KustomRider8 07-26-2011 02:36 PM

FISHING LINE AND A HAIRDRYER, did it myself

01grand 07-26-2011 03:39 PM

I heated them with a hair dryer, then used a soft plastic scrapper to get the letter and most of the glue off. Then I dabbed a rag in some gas and rubbed off any excess glue once all the letters in that area were off, and immediately used a wet rag to wipe off any gas. Follow that with a good wash and wax and it will look like it came that way from the factory!

Djsal5 07-26-2011 03:55 PM

what i used was a nice finishing line like you said then it is sort of a rubber cone that goes on a sander and it spins all the glue off nice nice then wash off either way will get er done

Siebz 07-26-2011 04:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

Gus9890 07-27-2011 11:38 PM

Neverdull is also good for taking adhesive off

tommc4 08-24-2011 09:53 PM

Years ago, I found some stuff called "LIFT-OFF" by Mostenbockers. Lowe's has it, and I swear by it. I use it to remove all sorts of adhesive stuff from dealer advertising stickers to logo pieces, etc. Really cheap, about $5 for a bottle that lasts forever!

Raptor 10-06-2011 02:18 AM

Dental floss, a hair dyer, not as hot as a heat gun so you can't burn anything, and some 3M adhesive remover, (won't damage the paint)...Done!

uniquetreatone 10-06-2011 11:25 AM

Truth is,it was during the summer heat wave & I was washing my truck & I told my wife I was about to see how hard it was to get the letters off. I asked her to go in the garage & get some fishing line & goo b gone. I didn't know my 4 year old daughter was listening but out of nowhere she shows me in her hand 3 shiny things- 4 X 4! So I yelled to my wife,forget the fishing line just get the other stuff,our baby girl has it all under control.

briggy 02-02-2012 01:16 AM

i just boiled a jug of hot water and poured it over the badges. it softened the glue enough to peel them off by hand t, worked a treat. wd 40 or any water displacing lubricant in a can will remove the residue without hurting the paint.