Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   What is Best??? Alpine Type-R's or Infinity??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/what-is-best-alpine-type-rs-or-infinity-2626.html)

SoCalMoparWK 09-11-2009 10:47 AM

What is Best??? Alpine Type-R's or Infinity???

I will getting my component sound system next month and I don't know what to choose between the two brands. Can someone help.

White Chocolate 09-11-2009 11:06 AM

Re: What is Best??? Alpine Type-R's or Infinity???

Meh I think Alpine is overrated, my old blaupunkt $60.00 subwoofers used to spack around my buddies Alpine Type R's. I have a friend who runs Infinity and it sounds really good. If I had to choose I would go with infinity, it seems like alpine is making their equipment less durable.

SoCalMoparWK 09-11-2009 11:24 AM

thanks klutch

Matt 09-11-2009 11:28 AM

Any reason you're only open to those two brands?

What are you looking to purchase?

BUBBADOG 09-11-2009 11:32 AM

Man buy the Alpoine type S speakers bro the type R suck i had them hookup up in my old jeep...type S sounds way better and if u sticking with factory amp HOME RUN!! never been a fan of Infinity

ItsAJeepThing 09-11-2009 04:09 PM

get alpine type X

SoCalMoparWK 09-11-2009 07:47 PM

They are affordable and good sounds. I can get all my speakers in my jeep plus install for under or around $450 in one the local shops in my town. So far this is the best deal I have seen yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 60063)
Any reason you're only open to those two brands?

What are you looking to purchase?

08Hemi 10-09-2009 11:31 AM

I bought a set of infinity kappa 6.5" components in front and matching 6.5" 2-ways for my old truck. I had 100W @ each speaker (old 4 channel sony xplod) and I have to say they sounded great (for the $$) and lasted over 5 years with the same amp set-up. I set the HPF on and they produced great upper-mids and highs; I had NO bass coming out of them so that maybe helped...I would bump hard (audiobahn AW1506T and jbl 1200.1 for bass)! No past experience with alpine speakers...only headunits.

darknine 10-10-2009 07:57 PM

well it breaks down like this alpine door speaker from type s,r, or x produce great lows. lows are a nondirectional sound meaning no matter where its at u will hear it. infinty perfect series and kappa or reference make great highs and mids which are a directional sound meaning only when its pointed at u do u hear it correctly. so also when u use ur factory amp to power ur door speakers but an aftermarket amp for ur subs and have an aftermarket amp it will cause the door speakers to rise in volume faster then the sub. since the factory amp is though the speaker line level and the aftermarket sub amp is through signal cables. so aftermarket amp both through signal cables. again those of you who say the type rs are weak cause ur friends didnt hit hard. it was because he was a broke dick who didnt buy a proper amp to power them considering they are 500 watts rms at 4 ohms so if he had two and they were the dual voice coil models then he would need a 1ohm stable amp which generally costs a pretty penny. at that note infinity perfect series is also an amazing sub and has great sound clarity. the best setup would be amped infinty perfects in the front, components of course with alpine typre r or s components in the back seats amped as well. and a sub of your choice if u listen to rock go for a ten in a sealed box with an amp that can handle 500 watts rms at 4 ohms or if u get a dual voice coil type r a 1 ohm stable amp and wire them in parellel the two voice coils. if rap is ur flavor then 1 or 2 type r or x 12 inch in a ported box if u choose x then u will need an amp to support 1000 watts rms at 4 ohms

Matt 10-11-2009 12:11 AM

Holy shit. Just about your entire paragraph displayed incorrect information. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I just want to make sue it gets corrected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknine (Post 76734)
highs and mids which are a directional sound meaning only when its pointed at u do u hear it correctly.

False. Almost never is a tweeter to be pointed directly at a listener. Mids are hit an miss and will depend on the rest of the set-up and of course the mid itself. A blanket statement simply cannot be applied here.

Quote:

so also when u use ur factory amp to power ur door speakers but an aftermarket amp for ur subs and have an aftermarket amp it will cause the door speakers to rise in volume faster then the sub. since the factory amp is though the speaker line level and the aftermarket sub amp is through signal cables.

One is low-level, one is high-level... both are signal wires. One doesn't sound any better than the other. If gains are properly set, then there will never be an issue between the "speakers" and sub woofer(s) not being level (as set).

Quote:

if u listen to rock go for a ten in a sealed box

Why? Does a sealed enclosure have better sound quality? Does a 10" woofer have better sound quality than a 12"?

A sealed enclosure almost never has the better "sound quality" than a vented enclosure. If you have ever used any modeling software (such as WinISD) you'd find this to be true. It will depend on the t/s parameters (as any enclosure will), but I have only come across 2 drivers that modeled better in a sealed enclosure compared to a vented. A blanket statement simply cannot be applied here.

Quote:

if rap is ur flavor then 1 or 2 type r or x 12 inch in a ported box

Why? Is a ported enclosure always "louder" than a sealed? Is a 12" sub woofer always louder than a 10"?

A ported enclosure can be "louder" than a sealed enclosure, but it usually is because they are tuned extremely high at one note (usually somewhere in the 36-40hz range) and sound like garbage at reproducing the rest of the FR range designated for the driver. Again, this will depend on the driver. A blanket statement simply cannot be applied here.

As I hope you have discovered, there are way too many variables to make blanket statements about certain enclosure characteristics or driver acoustics without first knowing all variables.

Oh, and I think you should revisit ohms law and wiring configurations.

I mean no disrespect, just wanted to clarify some things.

darknine 10-11-2009 12:29 AM

well thats funny last i knew a 10 inch with a sealed box had a faster response rate which is why i said that for rock and a vented box with a 12 would produce a louder boom again if its type r or anything alpine i would be more then happy to get u the specs for boxes that alpine recommends for each of their subs and enclosure types. and last i checked my math was correct 4 divided by 4 was 1 but hey maybe math has changed. and im not saying one is louder then the other im saying one is faster then the other. and i dont care what input type they use for the aftermarket amps high or low will work fine that i agree on im simply making the point to bypass the factory amp when having subs. you dont even have to amp ur doors IDC point is it will sound more even if u bypass the factory amp. read more carefully and try not to jump the gun next time.

darknine 10-11-2009 12:33 AM

and again to finish this alpine and infinity are both exceptionally good speakers it depends on your taste of music and your setup