Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   broken u-joint yoke (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/broken-u-joint-yoke-26277.html)

2005 WK 07-26-2011 07:48 PM

broken u-joint yoke

i was attempting to replace the u-joint on my WK and fail miserably. They were so bad and corroded into place, i ended up breaking the yoke for the rear of the shaft. Anyone have any idea how much I am looking to spend on a new yoke and a link to an online store i might be able to get it from? Im hoping I can have it done by tomorrow afternoon if im able to get the part.

viking757 07-26-2011 11:26 PM

Re: broken u-joint yoke

**Edit**

Hey upon further research the reason you were having so much trouble getting that U joint out of the rear drive shaft is because they are NOT rebuildable. You have 2 options... Replace the whole driveshaft or call a reputable 4x4 shop and see what they can do

2005 WK 07-27-2011 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 8570

I was able to buy the u-joints for it but this is the flange yoke that broke, am I able to buy one to replace it?

2005JGC 07-27-2011 03:35 AM

yep the rear driveshaft is not rebuildable... likely the only way you will have your rig up and running is if you call the dealer with 6-700 dollars and buy a drivshaft tomorrow ;)

THAT SAID, you could call up a 4x4 shop and see what they can tell you, I am not in the buisness of making driveshafts so they will have a much firmer grasp on your options. I am sure you can find aftermarket driveshafts somewhere too.

2005 WK 07-27-2011 07:37 AM

Dealer wanted $865 for a driveshaft so Im just gonna pick one up from the junkyard and call it a day. Thanks for your help tho.

NHWK05 07-27-2011 12:15 PM

You are going to have to go to the jeep dealership and see if you can buy just the flange, if not you need to replace the entire drive shaft with the flange.

You can also try getting a custom serviceable drive shaft built for the same if not less then the cost of the oem made by Tom Woods Drive shafts. Might cost about $300 total.

EDIT, getting a used one should be fine just make sure its got the flange.

viking757 07-27-2011 05:09 PM

Car-part.com type your zip in and start calling places =]

2005JGC 07-28-2011 01:20 AM

The dealer is the one that says its non servicable... for example, I have an 11 journey at work that has a ground pin pushed out of the connector on the abs module. the tab is broken that retains the pin in the connector and instead of purchasing the "repair kit" to replace the connector body, I get an entire harness because the repair kit isnt offered for that peticular connector (rightly so I guess, last thing you need is billy bob butt connecting wires for the abs module).

The dealer is likely the LAST place you would be able to source just the damaged part unless you source it ON the driveshaft ;) If you were going to get lucky at all it would be aftermarket... anyway its solved.

Sorry for the crappy situation bud, that will teach you to do preventative maintainence to your vehicle eh? lol

2005 WK 07-30-2011 03:13 AM

Thanks for everyones input and help, much appreciated. I ended up picking up a whole driveshaft with the u-joints and yoke from the junk yard for $100 compared to $865 from the dealer. I tryed to pick up just the yoke but since the u-joints are staked in, even with a new yoke i cant put new you joints in because theres no place to seat the ring that holds it in place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 455988)
Sorry for the crappy situation bud, that will teach you to do preventative maintainence to your vehicle eh? lol

lol, ive only owed the Jeep for 1 year and I have replaced alot of parts on it, its the previous owners that i feel just drove it without doing any type of work to it, which leaves me in the situation where i either fix it or break down so i try to fix and maintain as much as i can.

viking757 07-30-2011 10:10 AM

Glad to see the problem is solved! :thumbsup: