Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Five Star Service - NOT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/five-star-service-not-26305.html)

bluethunderjeep 07-27-2011 07:00 PM

Five Star Service - NOT

The past couple weeks I have noticed a rubbing/chafing sound coming from the front of my Jeep while barely rolling at slow speed in traffic that seemed to be getting more noticeable especially when turning at slow speeds.

Tonight I jacked up the passenger side front wheel, and it had severe wobble, so I thought wheel bearing. I then checked the driver side wheel, but it was super tight, zero play. Back to the passenger wheel, wobble, wobble; but wait, the hub is not moving, just the wheel. One wheel nut GONE, turned the other four off with my fingers! Tighten wheel nuts- NO MORE NOISES!
Fortunately the holes in the rims did not get oblonged.

Had the Jeep at the dealer end of June for safety inspection (they told me I passed with flying colors) and had them rotate the tires. :mad:

So if you recently had your tires rotated, and are now hearing scary noises, check those lug nuts!

Dave

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-27-2011 07:22 PM

Re: Five Star Service - NOT

you are supposed to re-tighten the lugs after like 50 miles of having the wheels reinstalled.

Marlin 07-27-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 455827)
you are supposed to re-tighten the lugs after like 50 miles of having the wheels reinstalled.

WTF...... no you don't! LMFAO! :lol:

Obviously some dickwad at the dealer FAILED.

Scottina06 07-27-2011 07:55 PM

yes you are Benny! Retorque is recommended.

Marlin 07-27-2011 08:14 PM

Pfffft, thats suggested to cover their arse from a legal sense because so many dipshits forget to do up wheel nuts its not even funny.

If the wheels nuts are done up correctly, they'll never need checking.

The ONLY time we re-check nuts after a short period after new wheel studs are fitted, as sometimes they can "settle" a little.

But a 2005 WK?, yeah nah, if they tight, they tight :)

Scottina06 07-27-2011 08:15 PM

Ill keep torqing mine........LOL

Marlin 07-27-2011 08:16 PM

Ok you do that :)

We'll agree to disagree :D

indyspz 07-27-2011 08:53 PM

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years back when I took my Dodge to Tread Quarters for a tire rotation... I made it about 1/4 mile down the road before I had to pull over because steering didn't feel right. My front right lugs were only hand tight.... all of them!!!! I called TQ to tell them that the lugs were loose and wheel was all cockeyed. The "manager" actually told me to drive it back and he'd look at it. I threw the BS flag and made them come to me... the jack'd the car up, and torque the lugs down right. I drove back to the shop... bitched a fit, made them do a complete inspection. They're lucky the wheel didn't fly off and kill me or someone else. The guy who forgot to finish the job got fired on the spot. I'll never take any of my vehicles to TQ again.
Glad things worked out for you and there was no damage to your ride.

Walt 07-27-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 455827)

:wtf:

:fthat:

bluethunderjeep 07-27-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 455854)
Pfffft, thats suggested to cover their arse from a legal sense because so many dipshits forget to do up wheel nuts its not even funny.

If the wheels nuts are done up correctly, they'll never need checking.

The ONLY time we re-check nuts after a short period after new wheel studs are fitted, as sometimes they can "settle" a little.

But a 2005 WK?, yeah nah, if they tight, they tight :)

Totally agree, especially the "cover their arse" comment.
I checked the wheel nuts on the other three wheels and they were all within spec.

2005JGC 07-28-2011 01:16 AM

why retorque lugs... just rip em down to 500 ft lbs with the snapon impact wrench and those bitches are NOT coming off ;)

for realsies though, I feel factory lugs your are perfectly fine with an initial torque, the lug material is decently soft and pourus like a natural lock washer. When you get to chrome lug nuts (like completely chromed, not the chrome capped oems) that are very hard and a smooth surface, especially against an aftermarket wheel that is powdercoated or chromed itself you can run into issues keeping the lugs torqued.