Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rocky Road Adventure rack (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rocky-road-adventure-rack-26323.html)

Qrex 07-28-2011 11:40 AM

Rocky Road Adventure rack

Anyone have this yet? If so, what are your thoughts? Would it be good for a Thule pod? Search did not really return any results...

thanks!

jdbfreeheel 07-28-2011 06:16 PM

Re: Rocky Road Adventure rack

I've got it. They build to order but turn around is quick. The first rack (part that fits between the two rails) was built backwards (spare tire cross bar up front instead of in the rear) but they built a new one for me and shipped it at no charge.

Haven't used it much as a functioning rack but it seems quite solid and the quality is there. A few powder coating dings, etc, but good overall. Install is straightforward but I'd recommend two things:
1) use a moving blanket or similar on your roof while you're doing the install. It allows you to move the rack around without scratching your roof.
2) Have 2 or more people available to hold the rack up while someone else tightens the bolts on the u bolts. I did the install myself but you have to be careful when tightening the u bolts. The weight of the rack can put too much pressure on the threads of the u bolts, making them deform, making it VERY tough to tighten all of them uniformly. Mt recommendation is to have two people hold the rack up while a third sets and hand tightens the bolts and then goes back to tighten them so the load on each u bolt is the same.

I'll try to post pics later today or tomorrow.

Qrex 07-28-2011 09:36 PM

Wow, thanks for the feedback... So do you notice any wind noise from the rack? If you have the sunroof, does it block the view? I'd probably just go for the 2 cross-bars on which to mount the Thule pod....

jdbfreeheel 07-28-2011 10:25 PM

A little wind noise over 50mph. Not bad. No blocking the sunroof. A solid piece of kit.

Qrex 07-31-2011 11:04 PM

Mind posting up couple of front/side/rear photos? :)

ternst 08-01-2011 03:08 PM

I'm looking at this rack as a platform to stand on with tripod while taking photos - would need to attach a sheet of plywood or something obviously. Has anyone done this with this rack, or have used another rack/basket on the WK2 for standing on? Thanks...

jjmonta 12-13-2011 10:39 AM

I'm very happy with the Rocky Road Adventure Rack for my WK2 Overland. Very well built and nicely finished. Wind noise is noticeable from 40-60 mph, but not horrible.

I bought but did not install 2 light bars, one for the front and one for the back. I wanted the look and security of a basket, but in trying to mount the u-bolt, I scratched the powdercoat and set them aside. I imagine the wind noise would be much worse with them mounted anyway.