Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Creaking sound in rear (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/creaking-sound-in-rear-26361.html)

bumpin_jeep 07-29-2011 09:19 AM

Creaking sound in rear

This is driving me CRAZY! I installed Bilstein shocks/struts about 6 months ago, with a SRT sway bar, and have SRT8 springs in as well. When ever I leave my parking lot or go over a bump slowly I have this loud creaking noise from the rear driver side. It sounds up high, like the top of shock. And sounds like something just needs to be oiled. Does anyone know what the hell this could be??

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-29-2011 09:36 AM

Re: Creaking sound in rear

Did you put white lithium grease on the bushings?

bumpin_jeep 07-29-2011 09:37 AM

For the sway bar? No. I did put in on all of the bolts for the shocks though.

I did a little search after my post and saw that someone said the top shock pads were defective. Has anyone else had this happen to them, with the same noise?

Seriously, it's driving me bonkers

07laredo 07-29-2011 10:49 AM

It sounds like the spring isolators. There is a TSB for this: http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0200505.pdf . I had the dealership replace mine about 18 months ago. That fixed the problem for a while, but it has been doing it again for a few months. I know, it drives me crazy too.

paroxysym 07-29-2011 10:52 AM

it sounds like my rear seat moving or flexing when i hit a bump at an angle that cause one side to flex before the other. but i know its not.. ive learned to live with it. so the TSB did nothing for it?

Billyb.cpt 07-29-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 456613)
it sounds like my rear seat moving or flexing when i hit a bump at an angle that cause one side to flex before the other. but i know its not.. ive learned to live with it. so the TSB did nothing for it?

Hey try spraying the rear seat hinges with some WD-40 or put some grease on both the seat and the latches, it should get rid of the noise. I had the exact same problem and got rid of it by doing this, it's been like 6 months and the sound hasn't returned at all! I hope this helps!

bumpin_jeep 07-29-2011 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the info. I ordered my shocks because I was hearing horrible noise in the back when I went over bumps and thought the rear shocks were bad. After replacing them I found out that I didn't have the back of my seats latched. That fixed the noise for a while.

Does anyone know if they make after market spring isolators that might eliminate this problem for good?

I'll try the grease on the seat hinges, but I know this sound is further back. The spring isolator makes perfect sense.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-29-2011 12:59 PM

i have the same exact sound coming from the right rear. i cant figure out if it is the seats, the suspension, or the hatch. it drives me nuts!

nighthawk306 07-29-2011 05:03 PM

for me its definitely the spring issue. i plan on having the isolators replaced as well as a couple other tsb. never heard the seat issue tho.

all i need to figure out is the where the mouse is hiding in my dash board and ill be set.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-29-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighthawk306 (Post 456802)
for me its definitely the spring issue. i plan on having the isolators replaced as well as a couple other tsb. never heard the seat issue tho.

all i need to figure out is the where the mouse is hiding in my dash board and ill be set.

i think it is the spring isolators for me as well.