Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Factory Remote Start ---> 2-way (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/factory-remote-start-2-way-26365.html)

docluv01 07-29-2011 10:28 AM

Factory Remote Start ---> 2-way

Hey Guys,

Ok, I have an overland with the factory remote start...which works great. The only thing lacking, is I wish I had 2-way confirmation if/when it started.

Rather then installing a separate 2-way remote start and carrying a 2nd fob...I was searching, and came across Car Link by Audiovox. This is one of those systems that let you remote start your car from a smartphone. I know viper, clifford etc make somethign simlar, but those you need one of their alarm systems. What caught my eye on the Car Link system was the following verbiage: "Compatible with any Prestige, Code Alarm and Pursuit security or remote start system with data port"

So, I dug a little deeper and read thru their install manual.
hxxp://audiovox2.info/docs/common/ASCL1/ASCL1_IM.pdf

It indicates 2 modes for this device. Digital, which you adapt to one of their alarms, and analog. This is what it says:

"In analog mode this wire is controlled by the START icon and provides a 1, 3.5 or 10 second ( - ) 500mA output capable of driving relays. Connect this wire to the external remote start activation wire of the remote start system."

Does anyone know if our Cherokees have a lead that taps into factory remote start?

What I like is th Car link, 1st year service is free :)

Any help would be great! thanks!

Andrew Klossner 07-29-2011 11:38 AM

Re: Factory Remote Start ---> 2-way

The security on start-by-cell-phone is weak and easily hacked: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...r-cars-hacked/. I wouldn't open that security hole on my ride.

docluv01 07-29-2011 11:48 AM

Yeah....good point.

ONTO plan B...haha

Here is plan B:
I keep an Ipod Touch plugged into USB under armwrest. As we all know, once the car is started, that USB power comes on. I'm wondering if there's an app that will send an email/txt when it senses power on the usb?

Seems like a ghetto solution, but to be honest thats all I realy need...

ANyone know of an app like this? (or is anyone a developer :) )

ebank127 07-29-2011 11:59 AM

Better still, I wish there was a way to cut the car off remotely.

ChrisL1976 07-29-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebank127 (Post 456643)
Better still, I wish there was a way to cut the car off remotely.

You mean like remotely if someone steals it....or remotely like once you start it with the keyfob?

ENFORCER 07-29-2011 05:47 PM

There are SMS based alarms that can start and stop cars as well as track locations. I do not know if they will work with the GC, but there are a few around.

ebank127 07-29-2011 08:40 PM

@ChrisL1976 l mean after it's been started with the key fob. I've started the car and then changed my mind. Now I have to go all the way to the Jeep, get in to shut it off. Is this feature only on aftermarket remote starters?

Sammzway 07-29-2011 09:14 PM

When I start my Jeep I usually listen for the two honk which ensures proper start-up. If I can't hear the honks I look to see if the lights come on. Also, if I start the truck and want to turn it off, I just press the aux button on the fob and the truck turns off. Once I started my Jeep and then had to do something and ten minutes later realized I had my Jeep on... went out and saw it turned off automatically. I think it automatically turns off after 7 minutes.

ebank127 07-29-2011 09:30 PM

thanks Sammzway I just discovered pushing the same button you push to start will shut the engine back off. don't know how I missed that before.

Sammzway 07-29-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebank127 (Post 456918)
thanks Sammzway I just discovered pushing the same button you push to start will shut the engine back off. don't know how I missed that before.

You're very welcome. I learned by playing around with it. I'm one of those geeks that'll tinker with everything. :lol:

ChrisL1976 07-30-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebank127 (Post 456918)

:lol: Thats exactly why I was asking . My son figured that out one day while he was playing with my keys. I heard it start...looked over to see my son pressing the buttons on the keys....than it shut off.

You know if you press the unlock button and than press and hold it again, it rolls down the front windows until you let go. I do wish it would roll them back up though. At least that works on my 2009. There is a keyfob post on here that talks about special functions.

ebank127 07-30-2011 11:11 AM

Thanks Chris I knew about the windows rolling down I just wish you could roll them back up.