Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   A "clunk" noise when shifting gears (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/a-clunk-noise-when-shifting-gears-26425.html)

rpeselman@hotmail.com 07-30-2011 09:57 PM

A "clunk" noise when shifting gears

Hello,

I hear a "clunk" noise coming from beneath the vehicle when shifting from D to N or D to P in my 2011 GC Limited (5.7). P to D is fine. Has anyone else experience this with their 2011? Any ideas as to what it may be? Is there a TSB for this?

Thanks!

Escape 07-30-2011 10:30 PM

Re: A "clunk" noise when shifting gears

I would have someone look under the vehicle while you are shifting through the gears (with the brakes applied and also the parking brake set) and see if the driveshafts have slop in them.

That would be my first guess.

Does it also do it when you use the autostick downshifting? If yes then it is driveline slop.

Dunecrawler 07-31-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpeselman@hotmail.com (Post 457368)
Hello,

I hear a "clunk" noise coming from beneath the vehicle when shifting from D to N or D to P in my 2011 GC Limited (5.7). P to D is fine. Has anyone else experience this with their 2011? Any ideas as to what it may be? Is there a TSB for this?

Thanks!

Mine also does this, but I am used to it since my previous 2006 WK did the same.

ColdCase 07-31-2011 02:34 PM

Usually the clunk is from N or P to Drive. Its called harsh engagement or shifting and there has been a few TSBs on harsh shifting. That's what you complain about to the dealer. He may find a bad us joint, but typically its a transmission engaging harshly thing. It is hard on the joints.

My late April built V8 (which should be up to date from the factory) only seems to shift harshly when hot, and when shifting to D from N when coasting slowly forward. I would not have noticed it, however, if I wasn't stuck for an hour in a traffic jam a few weeks ago and was shifting to N to save some wear and tear (although I don't know if that is the case with these newer transmissions).

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-01-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks all! I brought my car in to the dealer this morning. I complained about harsh shifting, mentioning going from D to P or D to Neutral. I received a call back saying that they compared to another Grand Cherokee and that this was normal in the Grand Cherokees.

JETLIFE 08-01-2011 10:07 AM

Ya i've heard that same story for years.

Them - "they all shift like that"

Me - "They all shift like a piece of shit?"

Them - "Yes"

Me - "I'll be buying a Subaru next"

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-01-2011 10:08 AM

Is there anything more I should have them do? Them saying it is normal seems to confirm Dunecrawler's post from earlier.

Findirman 08-01-2011 03:56 PM

The build date for my 2011 Overland was Feb 9th and it does not make a "clunk" noise no matter how it is shifted. Just thought you would like to know that the "clunk" noise may not be normal.

hammer1234 08-08-2011 05:58 AM

We have a clunk that happens after braking and then accelerating. Ours is barely detectable from the driver's seat but is noticeable from the passenger side.

It's "always" done it but I'm going to bring it up to the dealer anyway...can't imagine that it's good if there's something loose down there.

airstreamer 08-08-2011 09:51 AM

I had a 'clunk' when I began to turn from a dead start in my 2011 WK2 (1998 miles). I brought it to my dealer and it was diagnosed that the front suspension had loosened and needed to be tightened and realigned. I don't know if this is your problem but you may want to have it checked out.

1200RT-P 08-10-2011 02:31 PM

i have the same issue, but its dissipated as the car has broken in.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/trans-shifts-hard-from-d-to-r-to-p-24204.html

bahrain jeep 08-18-2011 08:54 PM

I have the same problem in my wk2 5.7 himi when shifting from d to n i dont know what to do ?