Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730N RHR does not recognize USB thumb drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730n-rhr-does-not-recognize-usb-thumb-drive-26485.html)

olszada82 08-01-2011 12:59 PM

730N RHR does not recognize USB thumb drive

Just bought a 2011 GC Overland with the 730N rhr media center. Want to upload some pictures via a usb thumb drive, but the it will not recognize that a usb is even plugged in.
I have checked and rechecked everything. The pictures are in JPEG format, they are 240 by 158 per the owner’s manual. I have also tried three other brands of flash drive and still nothing.
I have also called Jeep and they have no clue what the issue may be. Next stop is dealership, but has anyone else experienced this issue?

ColdCase 08-01-2011 01:17 PM

Re: 730N RHR does not recognize USB thumb drive

What format are you using on the drives? I think the 730 is picky, but off hand I don't recall which drive format they like, I think its FAT32.

zebrakot 08-01-2011 01:32 PM

I have an 8 GB flash drive formated as FAT32, 2 folders in root (Audio and Photos). Copied images right from the camera (small canon) to the flash drive.

In the 730N went to "menu" hard button, My Files (or my harddrive - forgot the exact name). My Pictures - Add - Stick in the Flash drive - wait for a few seconds until the radio reads it - click "from usb" - select folder - add.

All worked with no problems...

1. Try to do the same with mp3s...
2. Check the Flash drive file format.
3. Replace radio

olszada82 08-01-2011 01:33 PM

I did not do anything to format the thumb drive and I left the pictures as JPEG, as that is what the manual said. Do I need to do something else?

olszada82 08-01-2011 01:34 PM

not a big tech guy, so how do I format the thumb drive to "FAT32"?

zebrakot 08-01-2011 01:46 PM

Once you see your drive on Windows (c, d, e, etc...), right click on your flash drive and choose "Format".

Most Flash drives are sold formated to FAT32, MOST...

I hope it helps...

Andrew Klossner 08-01-2011 03:07 PM

Also, make sure your photo filenames end in ".jpg" not ".jpeg".

olszada82 08-01-2011 05:24 PM

dang, tried everything and it still does not work. Will be taking it in to the dealer, must be something wrong with the USB port. Thanks everyone for the help.

DamMan 08-19-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olszada82 (Post 458217)
dang, tried everything and it still does not work. Will be taking it in to the dealer, must be something wrong with the USB port. Thanks everyone for the help.

Did dealer find a solution? Just picked up my 2012 Wrangler today and exact same problem. I know USB is formatted correctly as it works in my 2011 RAM with RHR 730N radio.

Thanx,
DamMan

BG_KY 08-26-2011 04:52 PM

I have had my 2011 a little over a week and I'm having the same issue. I gave up on my 3GS 32gig iPhone (streaming works fine, but no control) and my nano iPod (when it works, speeds up slows down, poor quality). Dealer blames apple and vice versa, but to add insult to injury I can't get either USB port to recognize my flash drives (plural because I have bought 5 different models), oh and it worked perfectly at the dealership, salesman even but a song and a picture of his ugly dog on my media screen! Only thing I can think of is the system isn't set up for new flash drives, salesmen mentioned his was ancient and I had the same brand. HELP! Love my jeep but this shit is annoying!

Margo 08-26-2011 06:49 PM

I had the same issue and had to use a cd for my music the first few weeks i had my jeep....It takes forever to upload that way...i decided to give it another go and it worked...The order I go ...media player menu, to my files, upload music or pictures and then I put the thumb drive in the front of the media player. It does take a few seconds for the media player to recognize but it is so fast to upload this way. When it wasnt working for me I had put the thumb drive in first and then went to menu, my files instead of putting the drive in last. I hope this makes sense and I dont know why that would make a difference but it does in my case. :)

BG_KY 08-27-2011 05:41 PM

Nope I give up. Thanks for the help and love the vehicle, but the type of small inconvenience really really irks me.