Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   $43k --> $55k?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/43k-55k-26507.html)

SRTDogg 08-01-2011 06:40 PM

$43k --> $55k??

2010 MSRP was $43K
2012 MSRP is $55K

That's $12K more and all you get is:

- Improved interior
- Slightly improved power (arguable based on terrible reviews)
- Slightly improved handling

Where exactly is the $12K?

Maybe instead of complaining about this, we should have been helping Jeep/SRT this whole time to build something better for less. Isn't that the whole point of making money and growing revenue in the first place??

Jacking up the price in a bad economy with a worse-off financial situation just makes no sense AT ALL.

QuickOne 08-01-2011 06:43 PM

Re: $43k --> $55k??

While lowering the price on other units, or keeping the price the same and adding in more horsepower, economy and features. See other models.
Here's a link to the Jeep Wrangler.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/pentasta...ame-price.html

jgc4ever 08-01-2011 06:44 PM

It's really simple offer $12,000 less or don't buy. Eventually they will have to supply significant discounts and/or rebates to sell these things if people don't buy.

SRTDogg 08-01-2011 06:48 PM

And I will laugh when they do...

SRTDogg 08-01-2011 06:50 PM

Hey guys, I just got back from the dealership where I picked up my new '12 Jeep SRT8. The best part was upon opening the glove box, I found $12,000 cash in there!! :D

:(

soontobesrt 08-02-2011 01:51 PM

I see where you come from wondering where the $12k is but honestly I think its almost in there haha, just doesn't show itself as easily as youd want/expect.

The new Bilstein ADS system is big $
The new rear ELSD and new tcases are big $
The new baller interior is big $
The HUGE Brembos are big $
The entirely new engine is big $ especially w/ adaptive intake and VVT as well as MDS
Although similar to the 5.7 w/ VVT the 6.4 has a bit more goodies upping its cost

Although may not seem like $12 worth, Id say the $12k isn't too far off. Cost to build a WK2 SRT8 vs. cost to build a WK SRT8 is def up. In regards to the comparison to other models I do not know. maybe they made hardly any profits of WK SRT? Maybe it was mistake they couldn't correct for until this second gen, maybe they wanted first gen SRT price this high?

I dont know, butI think the WK2 SRT8 definitely costs a few grand more than an Overland

SRTDogg 08-02-2011 01:56 PM

Wrong. Did you forget the SRT is already a ~ $13k premium even at $43k, before the extra $12k!?

QuickOne 08-02-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 458733)
The new Bilstein ADS system is big $ (Like the Quadralift isn't big money? I'd say more expensive than adaptive damping)
The new rear ELSD and new tcases are big $ These TCases are not bigger money. Same cost as current versions. They aren't anything special or new {MP3010})
The new baller interior is big $ (Can't be true, considering same quality is available in WK2 overland vs Wk overland and price is static)
The HUGE Brembos are big $ (First version had 4 pots. Cost difference to 6 is not big difference)
The entirely new engine is big $ especially w/ adaptive intake and VVT as well as MDS (Per Milous, cost on this engine is actually the same if not cheaper. Also supported by only minor cost increase in the Chally, Charger and 300)

Although may not seem like $12 worth, Id say the $12k isn't too far off. Cost to build a WK2 SRT8 vs. cost to build a WK SRT8 is def up. In regards to the comparison to other models I do not know. maybe they made hardly any profits of WK SRT? Maybe it was mistake they couldn't correct for until this second gen, maybe they wanted first gen SRT price this high? Then why is the Canadian version same price when the Canadian Chryslers are all 5 - 10% more?

I dont know, butI think the WK2 SRT8 definitely costs a few grand more than an Overland

See above in bold.

soontobesrt 08-02-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickOne (Post 458770)
See above in bold.

Id have to disagree and agree on some parts. Everything beyond what Milous claims as engine costs is speculation and your word is as good as mine but Im just using logic. When I say big $ probably exaggerating a little as it will vary. Some parts a few hundred to over a grand on some.

The LS diff is a more costly differential than the old Dana 44 or so would tell me from the complexities and overall parts of a locker vs an ELECTRONIC LSD. Not sure on the tcase but call them equal, id say its an upgrade though or why would they do it? Old tcase was proven weak-point, I think new one is beefier aka more $.

The interior in the SRT8 is not the same as the overland some of it is but Ill say the REAL CF composite, the Napa leather SRT seats and even the little accessories all add up to decent $ in the interior.

Forgot to mention the adaptive cruise, does the overland or others have that as thats huge technology and certainly costly to add on, not sure?

The bigger Brembos although only slightly larger are still a good bit more $. Look at what a set of 15" 6 pot (aka big brake kit) goes for vs. a 4pot kit (if you can even find it) again change adds up, certainly a few bucks more.

The ADS is def more costly than quadralift. The qudralift is just a set of airbags with nice computer module interface. The ADS actually monitors and taps into accelerometers, TCM, PCM and other modules for live feedback and adjusts the shocks, engine parameters as well as transmission and rear diff parameters. The entire powertrain/driveline are customizable livetime on the SRT8 while the Overlands have NONE of this. Think about all that and then think costs.

Engines may be similar but DEF not less haha, how could 6.4 with all same features and some cost less? Not a chance im buying that one. Its bigger/badder motor period. It costs more until I see proof otherwise :slapfight:

Sure it seems like a bunch of little things cuase it is. But little things add up right? Not to $12k but enough to make it seem to someone at Jeep its worth $12k more! Id still think an SRT8 costs maybe $4k-5k more to assemble than any Overland or Summit.

As far as your pricing concerns I have NO CLUE how or why they did what they did. But still doesnt mean the SRT8 cant cost more. Maybe its a Canadian incentive to buy plain and simple? Who knows honestly but it is what it is :rolleyes:

xmonger 08-02-2011 05:41 PM

After the initial rush I think the SRT will be heavily discounted. It's a good value proposition relative to the competition (at POS) but I am sure the resale value will not be on par with the heavyweight Europeans.

Chryco is getting greedy on this one.

rusty104 08-02-2011 05:49 PM

2010 vs, 2012
Performance increase - no
Style better - you judge
Build quality - much better
Interior - much better
Street adaptibility - much better
Towing - exists so much better

12k better then 2010 = no

better then other comparable SUV's - no
better priced than comparable SUV's - much better

conclusion - JGC is now competing with the big boys in terms of luxury, It already was in terms of performance.
Buy a 2010 if luxury and road manners don't mater.
Buy a non-suv if cost and performance are the most importsnt.
If cost and performance are an issue and you want a new SUV, buy the 2012 JGC SRT8

soontobesrt 08-02-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty104 (Post 458915)
2010 vs, 2012
Performance increase - no
Style better - you judge
Build quality - much better
Interior - much better
Street adaptibility - much better
Towing - exists so much better

12k better then 2102 = no

better then other comperable SUV's - no
better priced than comparable SUV's - much better

conclusion - JGC is now competing with the big boys in terms of luxury, It already was in terms of performance.
Buy a 2010 if luxury and road manners don't mater.
Buy a non-suv if cost and performance are the most importsnt.
If cost and performance are an issue and you want a new SUV, buy the 2012 JGC SRT8

I like the summary. Spells it out pretty well, obviously some individuals will have their own personal circumstances in which this wont fit the wants but overall Id agree.

The 2012 SRT8 is NOT the best overall luxury/performance SUV on the market when price is NOT accounted for BUT WHEN IT IS, Id say its clearly the best. Those with higher disposable income will still buy it pending they see/hear of it. And those who were on the fence will probably pass to something a little more reasonable and less fun overall ;)