Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Applying ScratchX (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/applying-scratchx-26513.html)

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-01-2011 07:35 PM

Applying ScratchX

My 2011 Grand Cherokee (Charcoal) has some light scratches on the side of the rear bumper. The scratches are in a couple places on the bumper. I bought ScratchX 2.0 and some Meguiar foam applicator pads. Could someone please provide me with some simple step by step instructions on how to apply? What kind of prep and post work do I need do? Do I need to use a certain motion when I wipe the area with the pad?

Thanks!

DAVY27 08-01-2011 09:46 PM

Re: Applying ScratchX

Meguiars recommends going from least to most aggressive on compounds to scratches. I never used scratchX but ultimate compound worked wonders for me. It is more aggressive than scratchx but safe on cc. As for prep, i would wash it down, claybar(for minor scratches i dont think it is necessary) apply scratchx and buff. you may need a few passes to see some results. After than wash it again and seal/wax the area.

I would recommend using a DA/PC but as for foam applicators i dont think there is a correct way of applying it. I used circular motion on the area, overlap it a few times and buff. To be honest, before i bought my DA, the foam applicator doesnt really help, only success i had with it was on a very light scratch on my tinted tails which i buffed out completed. On the body panels it was another story. Good luck tho!

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-02-2011 01:16 AM

Thanks Davy27. I think I will try the ScratchX first, given that it is less aggressive than the UC. Ok, so wash, apply ScratchX, buff with pad, wash again, and then seal/wax? What seal/wax would you recommend? What applicator for the seal/wax, microfiber or terry cloth?

DAVY27 08-02-2011 12:08 PM

yep sounds good. as for the seal/wax, you can skip the sealant and just use wax. reason is the sealant need a "cure time" around 24 hours to serve its purpose before buffing it off. I usually apply sealant when i give my jeep a complete detail twice a year, supposedly it protects the paint for 4-6 months so its up to you.

i use Meguiars M21 sealant and Meguiars Ultimate Wax. I applied both with separate foam applicators.

TJXJWJ 08-02-2011 01:28 PM

Yes, apply with foam applicator pad, remove with microfiber cloth. Make sure to take any tags off the microfiber cloth...you may also want to wash it first. I never use them off the shelf.

rpeselman@hotmail.com 08-02-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks Davy27, TJXJWJ. Meguiar's makes liquid, paste, and spray on "Ultimate" wax. Which one?

TJXJWJ 08-02-2011 03:27 PM

I am a liquid guy. The spray is good for quick "in between" maintenance.

Scottina06 08-02-2011 03:29 PM

I found the scratchx to be useless by hand.....

There are many compounds that will be quicker by hand...but that brings on another set of problems...like polishing the surface back to a proper shine/sheen to match the rest of the paint.

DAVY27 08-02-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 458792)
I am a liquid guy. The spray is good for quick "in between" maintenance.

x2!

Uncle Paul 08-02-2011 07:00 PM

Meguirs Scratch-X uses abrasives that break down to smaller and smaller grits as you rub them.

Rub harder in the beginning, and then lighten up towards the end as the scratch deminishes.

TJXJWJ 08-02-2011 07:20 PM

There are other aspects in life where some think it's smart to rub harder in the beginning, and then lighten up towards the end. Personally, I prefer the other way around

Martyp 08-03-2011 11:54 AM

I used it to remove swirls from areas I couldn't get to with the rotary or PC.

Apply a pea sized amount on the megs pad, rub like heck applying a lot of pressure, this builds up heat which allows the abrasives to work, then give it a few passes with light pressure to regain gloss.

Works for me... :thumbsup: