Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Clicking noise when braking to a stop from any speed. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/clicking-noise-when-braking-to-a-stop-from-any-speed-26520.html)

OLLEVON 08-01-2011 10:17 PM

Clicking noise when braking to a stop from any speed.

I have an '02 WJ 4.0 4x4 and when I apply the brakes to come to a stop or just to slow down from any speed I hear a clicking sound. Thought it was the brakes at first so I took it to get looked at and the mechanic told me the calipers needed to be greased, well that didn't fix the problem. So I did my own inspection and research and noticed that the front differential had a slight leak and has never been changed in 130,000 miles. I pulled the cover off drained it cleaned it and replaced the gear oil but the clicking is still there. I want to do the rear as well but the access isnt as easy with the fuel tank in the way. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts about what the clicking may be and how to change the rear gear oil. I do want to pull the cover off as I did on the front and make a new seal.

2004wjmedic 08-01-2011 10:48 PM

Re: Clicking noise when braking to a stop from any speed.

Do you have the limited slip in the front? May need to add the limited slip additive

Frango100 08-02-2011 06:59 AM

Just jack up the rear (and use stands for safety) to get easy access to all rear diff cover bolts.
Because you only have the clicking sound when braking, i would still suspect something in the brake system. Does it seem that the clicking sound comes from the wheels, or any other place? Does is really only click when braking, or also when decelerating?

01grand 08-02-2011 11:31 AM

Make sure to jack up the rear end by the frame rail, this will move the fuel tank up and the axle will drop down so you have easier access to the diff.

You would typically only hear noise from the limited slip axle while turning if there wasn't enough friction modifier in there. I agree with Frango if it only happens while braking you probably have a brake problem. Make sure your pads and rotors are ok. If you also feel a vibration while braking your rotors could be warped.

206WJ 08-02-2011 04:28 PM

Check your driveshafts for play. The U-Joints make a clicking/knocking sound sometimes when they go out too.

OLLEVON 08-03-2011 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the responses...the noise is definately not from the brakes...I suspect its is coming from the driveshaft 206 WJ...01grand I kind of had a feeling if I put the jack stands under the frame rail the axle would drop...2004wjmedic the front is limited slip I replaced the fluid with royal purple whitch I believe has the limited slip additive.

OLLEVON 08-03-2011 08:36 AM

Hey 206wj would that clicking happen when im braking or decelerating or both because it happens during both.

206WJ 08-03-2011 01:10 PM

Depends on how bad. Mine was the front shaft at both times. What shaft do you have? There are a few different ones on the WJ. Not too hard to re-build.

This isn't my video, but does it sound like this?