Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Transmission Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/transmission-issues-26522.html)

Crestwood1001 08-01-2011 10:51 PM

Transmission Issues

Last month while my mechanic was under my 05 WK he pointed out a seeping transmission line towards the front of the engine bay. He said it was not a major leak, and iv never seen fluid in my driveway, so I waited till I had the money to fix it without putting any strain on myself since all my bills were due around that time.
Since then its been SLAMMING downshifts every now and then, like it will really slam down a gear and shake the whole jeep, so I called him and got it in tomorrow. Funny part is he said he just had a black SRT8 that iv been seeing around in for the same reason. I saw this guy at the gas station a few days ago but he didnt seem to want to talk, and has been a goast since, things loud though, def not stock.
BUT anyway, it goes tomorrow for a fix to the line, a tranny drain and refill, and an oil change, anyone else have this issue? I think iv heard of seeping lines on here before, seems common?

Galaxie500 08-01-2011 11:08 PM

Re: Transmission Issues

I don't have seeping lines but mine does do hard down shift every now and then, more pronounced and lower speeds. I'm coming up on my 30K service and all fluids will be changed then.

Crestwood1001 08-01-2011 11:10 PM

Mines does it at all speeds, really went down hard on the highway last week. I almost pulled over lol

Crashtown 08-01-2011 11:56 PM

The cooler lines develop a leak where the fittings crimp onto the rubber lines on the passenger side behind the radiator. Kind of a PITA job, so I was more than happy to let the dealer replace the $60/set hoses for $230. I almost attempted it myself, but after crawling underneath... not worth the try.

I've never had noises downshifting, but I do have a thud shifting from P to R out of my driveway. I think the front diff isolator bushings are the culprit.

Crestwood1001 08-02-2011 12:20 AM

Yea mine are bad to. Its a line into the cooler, it was very easy to get to with the jeep on a lift, he said they will try cutting a bit off and reattaching it. The connections they use stock are weak according to him. So we will find out in 7 hours

Bleeding Blue 08-02-2011 05:59 AM

Mine downshifts really hard at low speeds, especially in stop and go driving

Crestwood1001 08-02-2011 07:27 AM

Yea that's where my issue is mainly showing

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

lll2for3lll 08-02-2011 08:03 AM

I had a leaking grommet seal a long time ago.

Recently had the drain and refill done but the hard downshift is still there. Not as harsh but still there. Never never ever had an car with such a weird transmission.

From my research, Mercedes design these transmission to shift smoothly without the you being able to feel it. But when it was put into Chrysler's hands, they decided to use a different oil other than what Mercedes use so that you WILL feel the shift (hard shifts) I guess because that how us Americans are suppose to like it.

Just like the original Nintendo was first designed to be only 1/3 the size of what it was but when sent to America, they made it bigger because they felt that we wouldn't respect it if it was too small. Lol.

Just saying.

I'd rather have a smooth shifting trans.

JETLIFE 08-02-2011 08:49 AM

It's the bushings over the front diff making the hard down shifts. $160 fix if you're mechanically inclined.

Crestwood1001 08-02-2011 09:34 AM

So just got done. The line was trimmed and put on with a hose clam and light pressure to make a better seal. The tranny fluid was flushed and replaced. It was BLACK, the PO def never changed it so this is the first one at 80k miles

soontobesrt 08-02-2011 01:23 PM

Whats/Where is this isolator people are referring to being an issues? The bushing for the front carrier that goes to the frame? Is it front end clunk that people mean? I just dont see how a diff bushing has anything to do with hard shifts? Must be confused?

And some info on trans flushes below for anyone who cares:

Did you actually have the trans flushed? Or just fluid drained and refilled form pan? Did they hook it to the 2 machine that allows it to be sucked out out and pumps new in? Hopefully not, so unless you check your trans fluid ahead of time. While flushes are good for transmission in good condition with little gunking inside and relatively clean fluid (suggesting good condition trans) then its ok to flush Id say, actually a good preventative maintenance for future issues.

BUT if the fluid was nasty looking burnt/dirty or metal shavings a flush would most likely put it in worse condition as the flushes will free all crap inside trans and allow them to clog/destroy the rest of the mechanical parts in it.

Flushes when done properly at right time are great but heard of many cars over 100k w/ issues having a flush and then days later needing full rebuild :( Id bet you're ok and it will help but if the fluid was never changed before you never know?

Bleeding Blue 08-02-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 458605)
So just got done. The line was trimmed and put on with a hose clam and light pressure to make a better seal. The tranny fluid was flushed and replaced. It was BLACK, the PO def never changed it so this is the first one at 80k miles

Is it shifting any better? I have an appt to have mine done saturday. My heap has 70,000 and I can almost guarantee it hasnt been changed based on the other fluids I have changed.