Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Weird whining noise when going in reverse. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/weird-whining-noise-when-going-in-reverse-26533.html)

Sammzway 08-02-2011 09:19 AM

Weird whining noise when going in reverse.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this but when I go in reverse, I hear a weird whining noise. It's almost like axle or gear or something needs lubrication or something. I just hope it's not a transmission issue. I only have 8k miles on the truck.

Also, the other day as I was slowing down from 30mph to 0 the transmission down shifted very hard. It was almost like it went from 2nd gear to 1st forcefully and there was a bang. I couldn't replicate the problem though so I don't know whether it was a fluke or what. I get very paranoid with this truck.

1200RT-P 08-02-2011 05:40 PM

Re: Weird whining noise when going in reverse.

i've heard that noise in reverse as well. happens when you're in reverse for longer than normal. more of a "moan" than a whine.

Sammzway 08-02-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 458906)
i've heard that noise in reverse as well. happens when you're in reverse for longer than normal. more of a "moan" than a whine.

Yeah, I guess that's normal.

Benzie002 08-19-2011 05:44 PM

I have that noise too when going in reverse and accelerating. Anyone else think this is normal? It's like a moaning sound.

WK2maybe 08-21-2011 09:59 PM

I have that moaning noise occasionally when backing up. I haven't been able to associate it to any use pattern. I imagine it's not supposed to be that way, but everything seems fine otherwise. Not going to complain to the dealer until it gets worse and more consistent... it's so infrequent that they are likely to just brush it off or say they can't replicate it.

ernestd 08-27-2011 11:55 PM

I also have the moaning in reverse

1200RT-P 08-28-2011 12:00 AM

I noticed today that this noise is emphasized in reverse with the AC on.

prelude532 09-17-2011 09:20 AM

I noticed mine is most frequent when under some load. Try go in reverse and give it a little gas instead of idle backwards, thats when mine is most noticeable.

logiman84 09-18-2011 10:50 PM

I also have the same problem, has anyone gotten theirs looked at and found a cure?

Marlin 09-19-2011 12:23 AM

It's normal. Don't panic.

All vehicles do it, some louder than others.

Diff gears are not lapped in to be quiet in reverse, because we don't go down the highway is reverse. It's impossible to have it quiet both ways.

AAAA 09-19-2011 01:07 PM

My Subarus did it. Reverse involves more gears than forward.

1200RT-P 09-19-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 486800)
It's normal. Don't panic.

All vehicles do it, some louder than others.

Diff gears are not lapped in to be quiet in reverse, because we don't go down the highway is reverse. It's impossible to have it quiet both ways.

hmm, thats good to know. do manual transmissions have this same issue? my WK2 is the first auto car i've owned in awhile, maybe thats why i'm noticing it more.