Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Tire Pressure Monitoring system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/tire-pressure-monitoring-system-26540.html)

lbaisburd 08-02-2011 12:05 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
I have a 2009 Grand Cherokee. I installed 22" rims and tires with 265/40/22 tires.
Now I am getting the TPMS system check light and the rims and tires were just balanced and filled.
Can there be a problem with the TPMS sensors or would it be that one of the tires are actually low? I do not see any of them as lower than normal.
The sensor just came on after a few weeks of having the rims and tires on.
Thanks

JETLIFE 08-02-2011 12:24 PM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
So you do have sensors in the new wheels? Did you remove your spare tire? Check your pressure, also check the valve stem / sensor for cracks. They're aluminum and can crack if you're not careful.

lbaisburd 08-02-2011 01:13 PM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 458674)
So you do have sensors in the new wheels? Did you remove your spare tire? Check your pressure, also check the valve stem / sensor for cracks. They're aluminum and can crack if you're not careful.

I do not think the new wheels have sensors but I am not sure. I wasnt told anything when they rebalanced them. They took them on and off and even removed the tires since they saw one needed a patch. that makes me think it could be losing pressure but it was sealed.
Where should I check for the sensors?

JETLIFE 08-02-2011 01:24 PM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
The sensors are your valve stem. Go outside and look at your valve stems, if they're aluminum then you may have them installed and one might be broken, if they're rubber, than they didn't re-install them. and you should go back to where they were mounted and tell them you want them back. they're about $50 each sensor.

Take a look here:

http://www.chryslertpms.com/

lbaisburd 08-03-2011 08:59 AM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 458720)
The sensors are your valve stem. Go outside and look at your valve stems, if they're aluminum then you may have them installed and one might be broken, if they're rubber, than they didn't re-install them. and you should go back to where they were mounted and tell them you want them back. they're about $50 each sensor.

Take a look here:

http://www.chryslertpms.com/


can i turn off the tpms?

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-03-2011 11:19 AM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbaisburd (Post 459177)
can i turn off the tpms?

no, it is a federal mandate

ChrisL1976 08-10-2011 08:21 AM

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring system
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbaisburd (Post 458668)
The sensor just came on after a few weeks of having the rims and tires on.
Thanks


I would guess they reinstalled the sensors and cracked on of them. If they did not re-install them, you should of had the TPMS light on before you left the parking lot.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community