Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Help: Removing WK Headlights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/help-removing-wk-headlights-2657.html)

tman4024 09-13-2009 10:30 AM

Help: Removing WK Headlights

Anyone have advice on how to get the headlight assembly off? I can't seem to reach the one screw that is at the bottom (under the low beam).

I was looking on wkjeeps.com and they have a pdf file for how to remove the headlights, but the link is broken. Anyone have the file saved?

http://wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm

iJeep 09-13-2009 10:46 AM

Re: Help: Removing WK Headlights

Hey Tman. I've done it a couple os times. To do it right, You have remove the front bumper cover and bumper bracket first to get to the screws that holds the HLs...

EDIT: Oh yeah, be careful with the HLs tabs, they break easy.

White Chocolate 09-13-2009 12:14 PM

Lol haha this would have been good news to know 2 days ago when I put my HID's in, I could not for the life of me get the headlamps out, oh well I got everything to squeeze in lol.

Scottina06 09-13-2009 12:32 PM

returned your email Jeremy. The one next to the grill is a pita and you need the smallest ratchet to get to it.

tman4024 09-13-2009 01:09 PM

I don't think I'll have a problem with that one, it's the one on the bottom under the low beam that I think will be the hardest.

Scottina06 09-13-2009 01:44 PM

that was the easiest one.....we must be talking about different bolts. I will say on the 08-09 bumper...the one next to the grill is not as bad now. I have large hands...but my wife was able to squeeze her hand through the space and loosen it for me.

For the one you are talkin about Jeremy...I just laid on the ground and reached up through the bumper and fender well area.

Frankie 09-13-2009 03:20 PM

Yeah, the bottom one was soooo hard that I never put it back on! LOL

White Chocolate 09-13-2009 04:15 PM

I couldnt even find the bottom screw closest to the fendor, I said **** it and squeezed my girlfriends little hands so she could put the bulbs in.

tman4024 09-14-2009 09:37 PM

So I got up under the jeep after work today and got my fingers up to the screw under the lowbeam without much problem. It looks like there is enough room for me to get it out. Am I missing something? Could the 08's maybe have a different setup in that area?

I should have 2 hrs or so free tomorrow night, so hopefully that will be enough time to get everything done.

Escape 09-14-2009 10:00 PM

I tried without removing the bumper and I just came to the conclusion that it is so much easier if you just remove the bumper to begin with!

Takes maybe 15 minutes to remove it. Plus on the 05 there is a guide slot the inner lower bolt fits into and you have to remove the bumper first or break it...I chose to remove the bumper.

Escape

Scottina06 09-14-2009 11:18 PM

Do you mean under the high bulb next to the grill Jeremy...becasue the one under the low beam is easy and right in the open. The guide slots and 08-09 headlights are the same as the 05-07 as far as mounting and mounting tabs.....they do come out without removing the bumper...I have done it atleast 4 times now.

iJeep 09-14-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 61629)
I tried without removing the bumper and I just came to the conclusion that it is so much easier if you just remove the bumper to begin with!

Takes maybe 15 minutes to remove it. Plus on the 05 there is a guide slot the inner lower bolt fits into and you have to remove the bumper first or break it...I chose to remove the bumper.

Escape

YES!!! Thank you.. :thumbsup: