Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Snow and wet weather performance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/snow-and-wet-weather-performance-26602.html)

VerbalKint 08-03-2011 07:23 PM

Snow and wet weather performance

Has anyone seen any reports of how the 2012 SRT8 performs in the snow???

soontobesrt 08-03-2011 08:59 PM

Re: Snow and wet weather performance

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerbalKint (Post 459528)
Has anyone seen any reports of how the 2012 SRT8 performs in the snow???

I dont think anyone has taken one in the snow yet?? Dont quote me but hasnt been any snow on eastern seaboard since any have been made and unless they flew on way up north I doubt anyone would have any info on this.

Im sure its decent though as it seems at home in that video on the dirt track :)

5point9 08-03-2011 10:02 PM

There were tonnes of magazines doing winter tests with the SRT WK1. I'm sure we will be seeing the same with this new one in several months time. For now I really don't want to think about snow.

soontobesrt 08-05-2011 03:37 PM

Yeah give it till next spring and you'll have your snow tests. Im sure its a performer with the adaptable suspension and engine/trans programming so it should outperform your average mom mobiles out there haha. Wont be a match for any Evo or STi in winter trim or any normal Jeep setup for off-roading but Id be confident out in the snow with it :)

Physics is physics though and 5klb with some street tires is always a recipe for disaster when you are talking very limited grip, add some ice and you can forget :(

kokanee13 08-05-2011 05:04 PM

Without question it will be better than wk1 srt8.

Red G8R 08-05-2011 05:06 PM

A console-mounted Selec-Trac master knob in the WK2 SRT8 has 5 selections: Auto, Sport, Track, Tow, and Snow.

It controls the damping, stability control, torque distribution, shift strategy, throttle response, and cylinder deactivation all with the turn of a knob.

So, with a set of winter tires, the SRT8 should do fair.

soontobesrt 08-06-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 460600)
A console-mounted Selec-Trac master knob in the WK2 SRT8 has 5 selections: Auto, Sport, Track, Tow, and Snow.

It controls the damping, stability control, torque distribution, shift strategy, throttle response, and cylinder deactivation all with the turn of a knob.

Agree 100% - but you get cocky and push it to the limit, "like anything" you will most certainly pay :) not that everyone didnt know that i guess :rolleyes:

Seen many cases of "i bought a car/suv BUILT TO HANDLE RAIN/SNOW!" end up on the side of the road upside down due to too much braun and too little brains . . . dont forget what you are driving and the conditions

QuickOne 08-06-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 460600)

We had record snow falls this year in the North East. My Srt8 with blizzaks was an absolute tank in the snow and I don't have any select trac to help dampen throttle response, shift points and torque distribution.
So in my opinion, with the added ground clearance and much better torque management, this version will be GREAT in the snow.

VerbalKint 08-06-2011 07:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure it will be fine.

Anxiously waiting for a delivery date!

mjw930 08-06-2011 08:50 AM

I imagine if you put a set of Blizzak DM-V1's on (265/50-20 will fit up to a 9.5" rim) then it should be every bit as capable as any other 4WD WK2 or any other 4WD SUV out there. No reason to believe otherwise.

If you leave the all season tires on with the 295mm cross section then it's anyone's guess but certainly not optimal.

DaBigBone 08-06-2011 09:23 AM

Eventually I'll be buying one as a Daily Driver, so it better be decent in snow!

VerbalKint 08-06-2011 11:29 AM

I probably should have ordered 3 season tires, since I plan on using winter tires. Not a big deal....