Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   ticking wont go away (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ticking-wont-go-away-2661.html)

chefalan23 09-13-2009 04:35 PM

ticking wont go away

i was told the hemi tick is normal and if you turn the tow/haul on or shift the autostick into 5th it will go away. unfortunatly it doesnt. im starting to think it really is an exhaust leek or something. whatever it is its annoying as hell when im driving with the windows down

Robert Palmer 09-13-2009 04:42 PM

Re: ticking wont go away

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 57955)
Its the Hemi tick. Its the normal operating sound of the MDS. Press the tow haul button to reduce the noise but I must warn you, you will see a reduction anywhere from a half mpg to a full mpg.

Its still going to be there but not as loud. Its something that you are going to have to deal with like the rest of us did. Unfortunately. :(

HEMIBeast 09-13-2009 05:29 PM

On my ram it was really bad. But got use to it.

Marlin 09-13-2009 05:44 PM

Mine mostly went away by using the correct oil.
5W20 genuine Mopar oil. (I cannot find aan equivelent aftermarket oil)

chefalan23 09-13-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 60945)
Mine mostly went away by using the correct oil.
5W20 genuine Mopar oil. (I cannot find aan equivelent aftermarket oil)

if i had to guess thats whats been used in my jeep because the carfax showed dealer service every 5k. im assuming thats what the stealerships use. is the mopar full synthetic?

Marlin 09-13-2009 07:21 PM

I can only assume it is full synthetic given it's cost? (lol, but you never know!)

A 5W20 oil you would have to think would be sythetic.

DO NOT assume the dealer uses Mopar oils, mine doesn't! They use a much cheaper (and incorrect viscosity) oil, because they say "most people aren't annoyed by the tik". So basically, you specifically need to ask for Mopar Genuine oils.

twice now my dealer has incorrectly used another oil when I specifically asked for 5W20, and they changed it for me without charging the extra :D

1 GRAND 09-13-2009 07:52 PM

I use royal purple 5/20 syn and mine still sounds like it has an exhaust leak. It sounds like the doughnut gasket on the headers is leaking. The way it sounds reminds me of an old 1970s ford truck or something lol.

I have really thought about having the cats cut and high flow cats put back on and a magna flow muffler on mine, and see if that does not fix the problem.

I know the mds makes it sound funny etc, but even when I start mine I can hear it make a puff of wind sound. And when the mds kicks from 4 to 8 I can hear it make the wind puff sound.

mjl2610 10-03-2009 05:59 PM

I have never heard this hemi tick before. I don't know anyone with a hemi though to check it and listen. It must be pretty apparent if people are complaining about it.

THA06 02-20-2010 10:54 AM

I was wondering about this as well.. That sound is way annoying and I almost thought is was the manifold causing the sound. I seen another similar model drive by the other day with the same sound was coming from under there, in fact thats what made me even turn my head to look at what was driving bye. It really sucks to be driving a nice Jeep and you got this ugly ticking sound attracting attention to what’s wrong with your Jeep questions.

Scottina06 02-20-2010 11:24 AM

it has nothing to do with he oil etc. guys....its the fuel injectors and fuel rail making the noise. Totally normal on a hemi

5.7Unlimited 02-20-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THA06 (Post 154592)
I was wondering about this as well.. That sound is way annoying and I almost thought is was the manifold causing the sound. I seen another similar model drive by the other day with the same sound was coming from under there, in fact thats what made me even turn my head to look at what was driving bye. It really sucks to be driving a nice Jeep and you got this ugly ticking sound attracting attention to what’s wrong with your Jeep questions.

This is exactly the way I feel about it too. I read a while ago on another forum that is is a valve engineering problem and putting slightly larger exhaust valves makes it go away. I'm SURE it's an exhaust leak or something because when I got the jeep I couldnt hear it at all and now I can easily tell when it goes in and out of MDS mode from inside the cabin with the windows up.

chefalan23 02-20-2010 01:03 PM

thanks to a louder exhaust and disabling the mds i dont even hear it anymore