Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Need Help with IPOD-What Am I Missing?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Technosavant 
#1 ·
I recently got my WK2 Limited with the 730N media system. I'm having trouble with IPOD playback. I do not have the center console IPOD interface connector as some earlier WK2 versions did. I have the 2nd USB port in the upper arm rest compartment, as well as the USB and Aux. Jack ports on the unit. I figured with the center console connector now gone I could get playback via one of the USB ports, but it's not working that way. My dealer says it should work with the cord that came with the IPOD for charging but when it's playing and plugged in, it's not being recognized.

I am trying to access it via the touch screen AUX tab. In this tab is the DEVICES button, which only shows my Blackberry connection as active, nothing for the USB. I also saw in the CD manual that IPOD playback may not supported by USB and the "IPOD CONNECTOR" must be used, but it does not go into any detail about that.

I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here so if you can tell me how to approach and fix this would appreciate it. Want to avoid a service call so soon and probably not needed. Thanks.:confused:

#3 · (Edited)
I have the same radio, and it works somewhat. There is much disussion in the audio/visual forum above.

There seems to be more issues when both a phone and iPOD are being used.

With my iPOD touch or Nano, I select the play list I want to listen to and start play before connecting it to the center armrest USB port. The iPOD will beep. It takes anywhere from one to 60 seconds for the radio to reconize the iPOD. Then it will start playing automatically or, if not, you go to the AUX device screen and select it. If the iPOD is not listed there, then there is a connection problem somewhere.... which iPod are you trying to connect?

The radio never seems to remember that you were listening to the iPOD, so after returning to the car and starting up, you will typically have to go to the devices screen to re-select it (you may have to wait 30 seconds for the iPOD to show up). Without a phone it seems to work much more smoothly.

Just one of many quirks of the 730N radio. For the money, you would think they would have it better sorted out.

The uconnect module is built in to the newer 730N, so you only get the center armrest USB port.

#4 ·
This problem is similar to why some people have problem pairing their iPhone or other smartphone with bluetooth. I.e. not all iPod generation works with uconnect or the radio. In addition, even if someone's iPod works and you have the same iPod model, it doesn't mean your iPod's software version is the same. Remember you have car not a computer. You can't just upgrade your car's software to match your iPod. Even if you do bring it to your dealer to complain, 9 out of 10 times they will tell you the car is fine and the problem is your device.

I have the 1st generation iPod, an iTouch, a 3G iPhone and an iPhone 4 and the iTouch doesn't work.

BTW, I agree with the comment regarding uconnect not remembering that when you were listening to an iPod device before you turned off your car. However, I've driven a BMW and Audi, and they both have many quirky things that would drive you mad if you let it. Just saying that these two brands are head and shoulders above Chrysler and Jeep and expectations for them to produce better and you would think logical design would be better but you'd be surprised.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedbacks. Learned a couple things along the way. Even though you may have two USB ports, one in the armrest and one on the 430/730 itself, only the armrest port can be used for IPOD playback. The media center USB is only for flashdrives. Seems like the USBs should be interchangable but it looks like not. One thing that came up is my IPOD software may not be compatible with my 730, so was suggested I log into Apple and update. I haven't tried this yet but it may help if you're having similar problems with an older device.

Long and short of it, I just skipped the IPOD route and copied my Mp3s to a flashdrive, stuck it in the 730 USB and copied them onto the HDD. It was quick, worked just fine, and serves the same purpose as trying to use an IPOD. May be the better and less frustrating way to go.:cool:

#6 ·
Long and short of it, I just skipped the IPOD route and copied my Mp3s to a flashdrive, stuck it in the 730 USB and copied them onto the HDD. It was quick, worked just fine, and serves the same purpose as trying to use an IPOD. May be the better and less frustrating way to go.:cool:
IMO, it works, but it isn't better. The playlist handling on the internal HDD is horrible (at least with the RER, guessing it didn't change with the RHR). It works best with smaller playlists... if you're prone to 200 song playlists on your iPod, loading that onto the internal drive is painful, and God help you if you want to add songs to it; you get to recopy the entire thing.

Generally, I view the internal HD as a useful backup to an actual MP3 player. If I had to do without the iPod, I could make it work, but it's troublesome.

IMO, Apple needs to do a better job with testing their software updates and the vehicle manufacturers need to do a better job of keeping things updated. If the vehicle manufacturers don't plan to do that, I'd just as soon they keep it nice and easy to swap out the OEM unit with an aftermarket unit; at least those makers understand that they need to keep customers happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.