Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Ordering Shocks Today (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/ordering-shocks-today-26627.html)

06overland 08-04-2011 08:59 AM

Ordering Shocks Today

Hey all,
I posted a while back about wanting to do a 2" lift on my 06 WK Overland. I already ordered the addco rear sway bar, energy suspension greasable rear sway bar bushings, and Rough Country 2" Levling/Lifting kit. I want to order the shocks today but have two questions. Will the shocks fit and am i ordering the correct ones!

My question is, if i order the stock Bilstein shocks and struts will they be ok with the 2" lift? I know that up front the strut and spring will be spaced out together by the lift kit. This means the suspension travel will be the same as stock but pushed farther down out of the wheel well.

My concern is with the rear. The shock pivot is at the frame and will not be spaced 2" with the spring. The shock will essentially be "stretched" an additional 2". Will this hurt/bottom out the shock?

If the stock Bilsteins are ok with the RC 2" lift kit, are the part numbers I found on Ebay ok? They are the old numbers but a good price of $300 for all 4.

What Bilstein recommends for HD shocks:
Front - 24-186797
Rear - 24-186803

What I found on Ebay:
Front - be5-d721
Rear - be5-d722

I just need a kick in the a** to order these...I don't want to order the wrong shocks!

Thanks in advance, James

06overland 08-04-2011 01:20 PM

Re: Ordering Shocks Today

Anyone have a confirmation about the stock length rear shock with a 2" lift, or weather or not the old Bilstein part numbers are acceptable?

Crestwood1001 08-09-2011 08:39 AM

Im no pro, but when I looked into bilstein's I was told that they are OK for a 2 inch lift but you will be stressing them out more then a normal application, so your gonna lose some life outta them, but for that price who cares.

paroxysym 08-09-2011 03:33 PM

been running bilstein HDs with my BB for a few months now- no problems and she rides great.

DaBigBone 08-11-2011 06:57 AM

Interested in this also. I'm about to order some new shocks for my lift

05wkguy 08-12-2011 09:36 PM

I was under the distinct impression that the Bilstein's are 1" longer than stock,buuuuuut i may be misinformed. ANYWHOOOO, they work OK with my hybrid lift,but do periodically reach full extention when hitting really big bumps at speed. Other than that they work great!!!

06overland 08-31-2011 08:34 AM

So ive got the rears installed...I dont know if this goes for all grand cherokees, but the stock shocks on my overland were the same length as the Bilsteins. As for the front...I wrestled with them last night and couldnt get the clevis bolt out of the lower control arm. I will tackle this again today.

JeepCoop 08-31-2011 10:04 AM

Ive got Bilstein HD front struts and rear shocks and a 2" RC lift w NO problems! I wheel my Jeep A LOT and they are still smooth! You're good to go!

06overland 08-31-2011 10:44 AM

Good news and SWEET ride man! now i just have to conquer this stupid clevis bolt!

JeepCoop 08-31-2011 10:47 AM

Lol!! Thanks man. Conqueror that sheeyat damn clevis!! Haha

AcidCold 08-31-2011 06:53 PM

I topped out my Bilsteins with my RRO lift especially on the highway over highway high spots. I would go with OME for the rear.

Crestwood1001 08-31-2011 08:54 PM

It all depends on your specific application...