Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Transmission doesn't slow on downhills (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/transmission-doesnt-slow-on-downhills-26652.html)

LorneInKelowna 08-04-2011 04:51 PM

Transmission doesn't slow on downhills

I am curious if the transmission should be slowing the vehcile down on downhills if I shift it down to say 3rd or 2nd even?

On small slopes i have tried 2nd, going about 30km/hr and it doesn't create any resistance. On a bigger hill, I use 3rd and going about 50km/hr and it just keeps building up momentum and does not seem to slow the vehicle at all. I have the 3.6L if that makes a difference.

On my '06 JGC (with a Hemi, if that matters), it definitely worked... only time not was if i started out too quick, but if i started decent below the 50km/hr for example, it would maintain close to same speed. And the 2nd gear and staying at aroudn 30km/hr always worked and not extra momentum/speed occurred.

Thanks for any help

12167jeep 08-04-2011 05:47 PM

Re: Transmission doesn't slow on downhills

I use the hold the shifter to the left trick and it picks whatever...usually down to second on the hemi. I know thats not what your asking but its a nifty little trick. Id try that and see what it does...easy to notice.

LorneInKelowna 08-05-2011 10:53 AM

I will try that, but i think what it will do if i hold the shift lever over is it will go right to lowest gear. When i am goign 50km/hr, I don't want it to go into 1st... i will try a bit slower at first and see what it does. Thanks

WK2 Rover 08-09-2011 12:47 AM

The ERS (Electronic Range Select) can be used to limit the highest gear available, using the engine to slow the vehicle. Holding the shifter to the left will pick the lowest gear without over-reving the engine.

mjw930 08-09-2011 03:03 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure what you are expecting but engine braking worked fine for me towing a 5000 lb trailer down 5% grades a couple months ago. You just need to get down to at least 3rd gear. 4th and 5th are both overdrives.

LorneInKelowna 08-18-2011 01:54 PM

I have figured it out... i was using too high of a gear... i was used to the gear i woudl use for my prior jeep which had the hemi, so i think i have to get used to using a lower gear and having engine (pentastar) rev a bit higher than i would have seen on the hemi. Still does not totally slow me the way i remember my past one working, but it is better now than when i was using too high of a gear.

thanks for the info/responses.

77rednecktruck 08-19-2011 12:41 PM

throw it in 4 wheel low range, that will slow it down. :)

I wish my hemi would let it "roll" a little more on downhills. When I let off the gas in any other vehicle, it shifts to the highest gear and picks up speed. The Jeep doesn't do that and feels like it is holding itself back. Maybe I am not used to it though, i only have ~8000 miles on mine now.

SpecOps 11-14-2011 07:18 PM

You must remember that the 3.6 has a final drive ratio of 3:06 which is very high. It won't hold you back going downhill like say a 3:73 or 4:10.

PECo 11-14-2011 11:18 PM

I agree with 77rednecktrucks. Jeep should look into reducing driveline drag when coasting to help improve fuel economy. I live in a very hilly area, and have taken to shifting into neutral on some downhill grades in order to stay off of the accelerator and save gasoline.