Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Blind Spot Mirrors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/blind-spot-mirrors-26674.html)

Red G8R 08-05-2011 08:34 AM

Blind Spot Mirrors

Does anyone know if "custom" blind spot mirrors exists for the WK2?

Of course I don't have Blind Spot Detection and although I do set my side mirrors out I thought this extra feature might be worth it.

I dislike the standard round mirrors but have seen "custom" fitting ones on other vehicles such as this. Thanks.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachm...pot-mirror.jpg

CrazyJ 08-05-2011 08:40 AM

Re: Blind Spot Mirrors

Your mirrors have the auto-dimming coating, so finding something like this would likely be much more difficult. I hear a lot of mirrors in Europe come like this stock.

Red G8R 08-05-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyJ (Post 460328)
Your mirrors have the auto-dimming coating, so finding something like this would likely be much more difficult. I hear a lot of mirrors in Europe come like this stock.

You're right....I thought about that plus the heating feature. The ones I'm talking about are "stick-ons".

JVBW0527 08-05-2011 09:34 AM

I test drove a 2011 ford explorer with those integrated blind spot mirrors.
I hated it, they freaked me out! I found them to be more distracting while i was trying to change lanes. I didn't know what the hell i was looking at!......LOL maybe because they seem to be a little bigger than those round stick on ones? Also could be since it was the first time i was in a car with them.

I'm sure it's just one of those things you get used to :)

Red G8R 08-05-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVBW0527 (Post 460353)
I test drove a 2011 ford explorer with those integrated blind spot mirrors.
I hated it, they freaked me out! I found them to be more distracting while i was trying to change lanes. I didn't know what the hell i was looking at!......LOL maybe because they seem to be a little bigger than those round stick on ones? Also could be since it was the first time i was in a car with them.

I'm sure it's just one of those things you get used to :)

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used these before but I can see why they might be distracting.
I'm not convinced about them anyway and if I did find them I would attach them temporarily just for a try.

dahlberg123 08-05-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 460450)
Thanks for the feedback. I've never used these before but I can see why they might be distracting.
I'm not convinced about them anyway and if I did find them I would attach them temporarily just for a try.

I've used them on all of my cars and I personally didn't find them distracting. They're really cheap and if you only peel a small piece of the backing off you can easily remove them after your trial run. The hardest part is finding one that's low enough profile so that it doesn't stick out too far.

plynn7 08-05-2011 05:59 PM

Ebay has several kinds of blind spot mirrors including the small square ones, just type in Blind spot mirrors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PCS-Adjustable...item5ae1799c54

Red G8R 08-05-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plynn7 (Post 460615)
Ebay has several kinds of blind spot mirrors including the small square ones, just type in Blind spot mirrors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PCS-Adjustable...item5ae1799c54

Thanks...I did find those but I'm looking for something more "custom" that fits flush.

pbm317 08-06-2011 11:08 AM

Those ones as pictured, as far as I know, are only on Ford products, I think it would be hard to find a similar aftermarket set.

Red G8R 08-06-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbm317 (Post 460906)
Those ones as pictured, as far as I know, are only on Ford products, I think it would be hard to find a similar aftermarket set.

You're right, I do see them on many Ford trucks/SUVs. But I have seen a Ram with it so that's why I thought they might be available for the Jeep, but I just can't find any.

I'm not sure if it's an add-on or the mirror is manufactured that way. :confused:

NewJeepBoy 02-07-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 460958)
You're right, I do see them on many Ford trucks/SUVs. But I have seen a Ram with it so that's why I thought they might be available for the Jeep, but I just can't find any.

I'm not sure if it's an add-on or the mirror is manufactured that way. :confused:

The mirrors are manufactured that way and are pretty much standard on all Fords now. GM also has them as I have seen them on the Chevy Equinox.
I have an Escape that came with them and I had no option. At first, I too thought they were distracting but I got used to them and now I don't ever want to drive anything without them. For those of you arguing that we all need to just push our mirrors out further, I have tried that and it is just my preference to see further behind me in my side mirrors with this making up the difference. So, I found this page specifically because I want a new '14 GC and was looking for a way to get these mirrors on it without going with a stick on.
Kind of funny note: There is benefit to them being behind and protected by the glass (vs stick on) that people don't realize. At first use, there is a 'glare' that no one understands and confuses a lot of people. What I am talking about is the fact that the curved part is behind the flat glass. If you look at it and take a moment to think about it, that first layer of glass reflects what would be seen if the whole mirror where flat throughout. So, in a sense, your eyes are seeing two images; one transparent one over the prominent curved one. At first, you look at it and you will naturally filter out this 'glare', looking past it for the intended information of the blind spot. Over time of use though and now that I am pointing it out...you might notice that the glare is actually useful subconscious information. It's like looking at this monitor...With such a dark background to this site I can see the whole room behind me, even partially down the hall. If someone comes walking, I will notice them in my peripheral even though I am facing the opposite direction. Most alert people would. They just never put any conscious thought into it.
:ohsnap:
Anyhoo...I love the style of the new JGC and am most likely going to get one but it's sad so many car companies would rather charge for 'technology' in the form of sensors and cameras that can break down and then make more money on their replacements than just go with something simple and cheap that works great on it's own indefinitely.

Jeep_addicted 02-12-2014 10:43 PM

The European spec Asphrerical mirrors are what you are looking for.

I managed to find a pair on ebay by accident, They ended up shipping from Germany. I bought a pair and another member on here had bought the other pair from the seller, since then they have never got their hands on any more,

What we need to do is get a member with an export model VIN so that we can get the part #'s and see if we can get our hand some so more of these.

I swear by these.

I posted a pic in a thread. titled Aspherical Mirrors?