Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Wow, it really does have 16 spark plugs (5.7L HEMI) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/wow-it-really-does-have-16-spark-plugs-5-7l-hemi-26693.html)

HEMI57 08-05-2011 07:49 PM

Wow, it really does have 16 spark plugs (5.7L HEMI)

Well I attacked it tonight. Socket wrench, spark plug socket, multiple extensions and an elbow attachment... and 16 plugs.

Took 1.5 hours working in my garage and minimal bruises. Took her for a spin at the end and she runs like she should. Already replaced PCV valve and EGR is going in tomorrow (Rock Auto sent me a broken one the first time around).

The HEMI is happy now. And about to get happier with the new EGR. 44k miles on it, figured I would just change out everything since its new to me and I'm not sure what's in it. Oil change isn't for another 2500 miles or so and we're going to Mobil-1.

Love the new Jeep, but damn those 16 plugs! I just came from a 4 cylinder GTI, lol... 4 plugs.

Good luck to all those DIYers, I'm handy and mechanically inclined but by no means an auto mechanic. I'm a scientist, lol...seriously.

And so the Jeep addiction begins. :thumbsup:

Chaoul1 08-05-2011 08:05 PM

Re: Wow, it really does have 16 spark plugs (5.7L HEMI)

Yup! If you take care of the beast, it will return the favor! Took me about the same time to replace mine. Good job on your first time!

DaBigBone 08-05-2011 09:40 PM

I picked up my plugs today so I'll be tackling it tomorrow!

viking757 08-05-2011 10:28 PM

I did mine last week and ripped a rubber boot on my coil over while I was pulling it off the plug:mad:(A trip to autozone and $4 later I was back in business).

Isn't working on your jeep so rewarding? You save a ton of money and you know its done right.:cool:

HEMI57 08-06-2011 06:33 AM

What's the verdict on the EGR valve on the 08 HEMIs? Can I wiggle that stupid bolt out without cutting it? I don't have a dremel or anything and can't move the alternator... so its wiggle it out or nothing.

dmsfun 08-06-2011 09:14 AM

NOw if you really want to make it run better, remove and clean up the throttle body with some rubbing alcohol and soft rag, and install a catch can. The 5.7 TB and intake gets gunkied up very quickly, which causes poor throttle response. Oh, and reset the idle after doing this by disconnecting the battery. This made much more of a difference in drivability than installing new plugs when I did mine recently.

trebliw 08-06-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI57 (Post 460659)
Took 1.5 hours working in my garage and minimal bruises. Took her for a spin at the end and she runs like she should. Already replaced PCV valve and EGR is going in tomorrow

How often should we be changing the PCV and EGR on our HEMI'S?

trebliw 08-06-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 460855)
NOw if you really want to make it run better, remove and clean up the throttle body with some rubbing alcohol and soft rag, and install a catch can. The 5.7 TB and intake gets gunkied up very quickly, which causes poor throttle response. Oh, and reset the idle after doing this by disconnecting the battery. This made much more of a difference in drivability than installing new plugs when I did mine recently.

Is it easy to remove the TB? Also what are the symptoms for a gunked up TB? My Jeep's been idling up and down from 500 to 1000 and so on and so forth with a lil over 50K

5.7Unlimited 08-06-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI57 (Post 460809)
What's the verdict on the EGR valve on the 08 HEMIs? Can I wiggle that stupid bolt out without cutting it? I don't have a dremel or anything and can't move the alternator... so its wiggle it out or nothing.

You will have to cut the long bolt (just use a small hacksaw) unless you want to take off your alternator/waterpump/everything , there is a writeup on this foruim somewhere, just use the search function

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebliw (Post 460901)
Is it easy to remove the TB? Also what are the symptoms for a gunked up TB? My Jeep's been idling up and down from 500 to 1000 and so on and so forth with a lil over 50K

It is easy to remove the TB BUT you should give "seafoam" a try first. It's an aerosol spray that you pretty much spray right into your TB while the engine is running, let the vehicle sit (turned off) for a while then fire it up and it clears out carbon. I've done it and highly recommened it, it makes for smoother idle for sure.

Granted it could be some other problem like a bad Air intake sensor but give the seafoam a shot.

mrtosh 08-06-2011 11:54 AM

The one egr bolt will come out just by removing two of the alternator bolts and loosening the third. It will give you enough room to remove the bolt. Honestly the removal and installation takes about 20-30 mins.

HEMI57 08-06-2011 12:02 PM

^^ I will try that first before hacking it off.

I already took out the TB and cleaned it best I could with a dry rag. There is some burnt on oil which maybe rubbing alcohol will help me.. but I don't have any at the moment. Maybe next week. Does unplugging the battery for 5 minutes truly help after cleaning it?

Shmigga 08-06-2011 12:17 PM

What spark plugs do you guys recommend?