Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overall height with tailgate open (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overall-height-with-tailgate-open-26701.html)

Swampy 08-05-2011 10:52 PM

Overall height with tailgate open

Hi

Have been searching the net and cannot find the answer.

Does anyone know what the maximum height dimension of the GC with the tailgate fully open on an Overland, 20" wheels and air suspenspension set at the normal ride Height?

I want to be sure that the tailgate will open fully in our garage without hitting the tilt-adoor in the horizontal (open) postion.

Thanks & Regards

Brenton

sined240 08-05-2011 11:34 PM

Re: Overall height with tailgate open

supposedly, 82 or 83 inches...

Swampy 08-06-2011 12:57 AM

Wow, thats pretty high.

Looks like we may have to change out the tilt-adoor for an auto roller door. Either that or reverse in....

Swampy

77Cherokee 08-06-2011 08:09 AM

How much room do you need? You could gain 1 1/2" by dropping into the park position.

skiingj 08-06-2011 09:04 AM

Glad to see this post. I have a similar problem. My WK tailgate hits my garage door when open so Iíve installed some rubber on the garage door so not scratch the WK tailgate. Iím concerned too with the WK2 Overland automatic tailgate hitting my garage door. I wonder what the automatic tailgate will do when it hits something? I hope it just stops.

JVBW0527 08-06-2011 09:53 AM

wow this is a good question! I also would love to know, since mine will be in the garage. I would love to know if i will be able to open the liftgate when in the garage to get stuff/groceries out

Smooth1 08-06-2011 10:20 AM

Yep, I've been through this already. And the answer for this is so simple, that it kind of annoys me that Jeep engineers didn't think of it or atleast incorporate it into the design. On the Mercedes Benz ML, theres the button on your remote just like Jeep, and theres a huge red button on the lift gate as well. As it's opening, you can hit that button at any time and it will stop the gate and hold it there. Any button you hit to restart the gate will close it from that point. So it never matters what your over head clearance is as you can stop the gate when ever you want. It seems the GC is either opening all the way or closing all the way with no in betweens. But, the GC has the flip open glass, and the Mercedes doesn't. I've often wished I had the glass open ability to reach in there and grab something quick rather than open the entire lift gate. So I consider it a trade off.

77Cherokee 08-06-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingj (Post 460851)
I wonder what the automatic tailgate will do when it hits something? I hope it just stops.

It will reverse itself, in either direction. Several manufacturers have made the liftgate height adjustable, mostly for this very reason, but also to accommodate shorter folks.

Dan JGC 08-06-2011 09:31 PM

Ummmm....it will probably break the plastic spoiler on the top before stopping. Was a HUGE issue for me in my condo parking garage...a water main lowers the height since it runs right through the middle front to back of my parking space. I just knew I'd hit the automatic lift gate someday and crack that sucker....soooo fortunately for me I was able to negotiate a cross assignment of parking spaces with another condo owner so I could get a parking space where it isn't an issue. If the ceiling is low then the spoiler may hit first (depends on how low) resulting in $$$ damages.

Jeepdewd 08-07-2011 10:45 AM

I have a brand new home. with really high garage ceiling.. and I back in.. easy out.. and I can close the door and unload.. in all kinds of weather..

andyh 08-07-2011 11:49 AM

79" with my Overland with 18s

Andrew Klossner 08-08-2011 05:24 PM

You can open the liftgate manually and position it wherever you want. Pull and release the handle on the door so it starts to open, then pull it again, hard. The power mechanism will disengage.

The same thing works when closing it. Push it into the closed position and it will engage the latch.